Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where do you milk?

Posted by lilmissgreenthumb 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 11:18

Ok I'm completely new to the goat world (actually not offically part of the goat world, just doing some research before commiting to some lovely creatures. I want to make sure I'm pretty well informed before I jump-in. I don't want the animals to suffer if I don't know what I'm doing). I'm thinking of getting a couple of goats in milk, perhaps with a couple of kids. I would like to build a nice big barn next year, but am really hoping to get the goats before then, so am looking a some sorta temporary home in the mean time. I have heard all sorts of suggestions here, from strawbale homes, to pallets. What I'm wondering is, where would I milk then? If you house your goats somewhere other then a barn, where do you milk?

Thanks again,

Jenn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where do you milk?

On a milking stand! I imagine that you could put it anywhere that it will be convient for you.

o

If you are milking the does what's on the menu for the kids? You can milk in a garage or any fairly "clean" area. One of the biggest reasons for folks failure with goats is due to getting the animals before they are prepared for them. They don't need a big barn but do need good fencing. Tom

o

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to become as prepared as possible before getting the goats, that's why I've been asking questions. I'm planning on building a smallish 10 by 12 barn for now (adding onto it in a year) but want to make sure I have enough room for milking. The barn will have electricity and running water. I'm just not sure there's enough room in such a small space to also milk.

As for fencing, also working on this. The area is 70 by 100ft. It's woodland area, so I will section off smaller areas at a time for them. The fencing will be 5 ft high all around.

Thanks for your time,

Jenn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here