Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beeliz

feed storage

beeliz
14 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for the best solution for storing my rabbit feed in,,I need something that's bug proof,,every year at the end of the summer I get these little bugs all over the feed bins. I presently use plastic bins,but somehow these aren't bug proof.

Does anyone have the same problem with these little critters on their feed bins? And can you help me find a good storage solution?

Thanks!!

Comments (17)

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

beeliz,

I use metal garbage cans for all my feeds and fertilizers. Rats will chew through plastic. I don't store large quantities, so feed is turned over quickly. No chance to go rancid. Keep it in the shade, rinse out the container between fillings. Just some thoughts.

Eric

• seramas
    14 years ago

The best solution to your problem is what Eric said, "I don't store large quantities, so feed is turned over quickly. No chance to go rancid."

It is so true. If youÂre getting insects in your feed it is because it has been stored too long. All feeds have insect eggs in them and if kept long enough they hatch and eventually developed into adults--laying more eggs--hatching...as it goes.

During this process they consume some of the feed and excrete waste into the food. Some of this insect waste can be toxic to your animalÂs especially rabbits. They strictly are vegetarians and any sort of insect/animal protein can cause serious gastric problems.

• brendasue
    14 years ago

I agree it is better to buy fresh more frequently.

However, for bulk purchases & storing larger quantities, get some 55 gallon barrels with sealable covers. Light a candle setting it ontop of the grain, seal the container, and the grain will store very well. Keep the barrels in a cool place. The idea is that the candle burns the oxygen up inside the barrel, and the candle goes out when the oxygen is depleted so no chance of a fire.

Brendasue

• beeliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok,,so how long are you suppose to use it up then? i'd go through a bag in about 2 months,,is this too long ? just saves money in the long run....

• brendasue
    14 years ago

There's nothing wrong with storing grains as long as they are stored properly. We buy in bulk every 3 months with no issues, but in summertime (June,July,Aug) our storage does get a bit warm so we buy less 1. because we feed less and 2. because any feed with molasses can go rancid with the heat.

How long you store feed depends on many things-ingredients, moisture, temperature, container, and how old the feed is befor you bought it. There are other variables I've probably missed.

If you are storing dry grains like whole oats or dried corn (less than 4% moisture) they will last much longer than say a mixed molasses based feed.

Brendasue

• beeliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok,,I'm storing rabbit pellets,,not sure if there's molasses in there or not,,but it's the 40kg bag from the co-op. I'm only feeding 3 giant breeds,so I don't need a HUGE amount stored,but it's still a lot cheaper than the pet shop feed! and I've always used this feed with no problems.
    I've had to give up keeping hens and ducks because of the pest problems I was constantly getting.,'usually these annoying tiny white bugs that actually got into our home last summer,and was a real labour and long process to get rid of them!
    So this is why I ask the storing question..
    shoulkd the bins be kept high off the floor of the shed?

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

beeliz,

Take a look at the nutritional tag. On rabbit grower molasses is close to the top of ingredients.

I store my feed in steel garbage cans sitting on the floor.

Sorry about the bugs, can't help you there. Maybe try Muscovy ducks in the future. They are great little bug, grub, fly catchers.

Eric

• beeliz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I sent my husband out this am for a steel garbage can to put the feed in,,hopefully this will solve the problem!
    Thanks for the help,,

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

You would think living in Zone 2 most bugs would winter kill. Average negative 40 to 45. That would kill me. LOL

Eric

• bulldinkie
    14 years ago

WE KEEP OUR FEED OIN LARGE TRASH CANS WITH LIDS

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

bull,

OK, WHY ARE WE YELLING? I'm right behind you. lol

Eric

• doninalaska
    14 years ago

We use both metal and plastic containers, but we don't have any insect problems at all. We HAVE had the metal garbage cans develop leaks around the handle rivets, so watch out for that if it is not under cover, as in a shed or barn. The freezing temps have always killed any larva in the feed. Of course, during the summer you have to be more vigilant, both for bugs and mold. The idea of putting a candle in the barrel to convert the O2 into CO2 is intriguing. I'll have to try that. They also make Nitro-Paks that absorb oxygen and emit nitrogen, but it would take several and I would only use them for really long-term storage.

• gardengalrn
    14 years ago

We also use the metal garbage cans and have had no problems with any type of pest. I've never even thought about the insect problem, our main concern were rodents in the coop or storage area where we keep opened bags in the cans. Usually, I buy 4-6 bags of layer feed and several fancy scratch or cracked corn for my chickens. I keep the extra bags in the garage, where the cats hang out. I have a "few" kitties, LOL. Those bags never get messed with:) I lug a bag or two out to the coop to keep conveniently in the metal cans. One can will hold two big bags of feed so I have one for the layer feed and one for my scratch. Lori

• bulldinkie
    14 years ago

Could be I didnt realize the cap but was on.OK....

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

bull,

Just playing with you. Sorry to hear about the your kidneys.

Eric

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Eric, you crack me up. But I don't get the kidney remark.

Regarding the issue at hand I also use a metal can which I store outside the chicken coop. I sealed the little holes under the handle so rain couldn't get in and spoil the feed. I think the reason I haven't had a problem with bugs in the feed is because it gets real hot in summer and the metal can gets like an oven. It's sitting on some bricks so it's up off the bare earth and the lid fits very tight.

With the old plastic cans, racoons were able to pry off the lid after the rats chewed holes in them and my chicken feed was eaten and/or spoiled in a single night. "So, it just goes to show ya it's always somethin. If it's not sand in yer bathin suit, it's a sweat ball hangin off the end of yer nose." -Roseanne Rosannadanna

Cheryl

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Cheryl,

Very interesting, but stupid! - Arte Johnson

From another thread, I believe bulldinkie claimed he is waiting for a kidney transplant.

Here is a link that might be useful: sick from eating goose eggs?.......

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES