Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken egg with weird tubing/membrane

Posted by bruce_ca z10 and z8 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 18, 11 at 13:29

We finally got our first egg of the season with our new chickens....and it was weird. It was covered with this long twisty tube like the chicken's intestines came out with it! The chicken seems totally fine so I'm guessing it wasn't really her intestines, but this stuff was like 6 inches long!

Anyone know what this might be? Could it be that it's just something that happens with a chicken's very first egg? Here are some links to photos showing it.

Any ideas what this is?

http://brucepeters.com/egg1.jpg
http://brucepeters.com/egg2.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken egg with weird tubing/membrane

Never seen anything like it and been raising chickens for forty years. What does it taste like??

o

It appears to be just some extra (thick) shell membrane with maybe some chalaza attached that coated the egg while it was in the chute. If there was no blood and it doesn't appear to be tissue, and the hen doesn't start having problems, it's probably just a hiccup with her egg laying apparatus getting geared up for Spring.

I'd keep an eye on her, though.

Velvet ~:>

o

I looked it up on the web and came up with a website that has pictures of all kinds of weird eggs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown egg Blue egg

o

Alan has a terrific site, I highly recommend reading all the articles on Brown Egg Blue Egg. :) He really knows his stuff.

Velvet ~:>

o

Thanks for the link! Although it doesn't say what it is, at least I know it's happened before to others and that they had no lasting problems with the birds. 3 or 4 days later, ours is still doing just fine. We're guessing it's just her system ramping up for the first time.

As for taste, we scrambled it with three other eggs (and goat gouda!), so we don't really know if it tasted differently, but it didn't mess up the batch, so I think it was just fine!

Thanks for all your help!

o

We have had eggs with shells that look like brains (always in the blue/green category). We have had eggs from our Cuckoo Marans (chocolate brown eggs) that the dark brown part looked like it was sprayed on and even had scratches on it so that the lighter color could be seen. Polishing these eggs with a soft cloth and baking soda completely removed the dark brown. Normally the dark brown is permanent but on occasion it scratches off.
We have had several eggs with smaller eggs inside (also always the blue /green variety).
We get light brown eggs that look like they were cut across the waist and then glued back together with nice thick egg shell....always a nice lump all the way around the middle.
One hen always lays eggs that are sharply pointed on both ends..(white egg)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here