Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ivermectin use in dogs?

Posted by mozoe3 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 15, 11 at 13:46

I have ivermectin 1% solution in a 50 ml bottle do i need to dilute this more? My Vet said 1/10 cc pr 30 lbs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ivermectin use in dogs?

Hi, there are several posts on GW about this subject but in my opinion, they only serve to confuse me more, lol..... there are those who dilute further, those who do not, those who feel the need to make complicated tables for dosing..... I finally just called my vet and said I wanted to use the cattle injectable 1%ivermectin and I planned to dose at 1/10cc per 10 pounds of body weight and I was told that was the proper dose. Just be careful to watch your dog following the dose since it is always possible for an animal to have a reaction ... I have been doing this with all 5 of my dogs for the last year with no complications and negative HW results...... I give it orally in a food treat to mask the bitter taste... good luck..

o

Thanks for the info. my vet said 1/10 per 30 to 35 lbs but i have been afraid it wasn't enough. Im a nurse and administer drugs all the time and this just seemed like a light dose from all the research i have done.. he is a large Golden and weighs about 90 so i felt that 3/10 was too little thanks for your help.

o

The ivermectin for cattle is very concentrated. Not much "inert" ingredient.

Cows are huge, so they don't want to add a bunch of distilled water into their shots and make the shots gigantic.

Look at almost any drug and the actual drug is a very tiny % of what the dosage is. The rest is fillers.

The bitty dosage of ivermectin is plenty. I use an insulin syringe to measure the dosage so I don't have to dilute it. The dosage is too small to measure with a regular syringe.

o

Just be careful you dont use Ivermectin in collies or Shetland sheepdogs, they can have a reaction to it and die.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here