Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wheat grass nutrition

Posted by brendan_of_bonsai 4b AK (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 10, 09 at 14:21

I figured it needed its own thread.

From Wikipedia

Table 1. Nutrient comparison of 1 oz (28.35 g) of wheatgrass juice, broccoli and spinach.
Nutrient-------Wheatgrass Juice-Broccoli--------Spinach
Protein---------860 mg----------800 mg----------810 mg
Beta carotene---120 IU----------177 IU----------2658 IU
Vitamin E-------880 mcg---------220 mcg---------580 mcg
Vitamin C-------1 mg------------25.3 mg---------8 mg
Vitamin B12-----0.30 mcg--------0 mcg-----------0 mcg
Phosphorus------21 mg-----------19 mg-----------14 mg
Magnesium-------8 mg------------6 mg------------22 mg
Calcium---------7.2 mg----------13 mg-----------28 mg
Iron------------0.66 mg---------0.21 mg---------0.77 mg
Potassium-------42 mg-----------90 mg-----------158 mg
Data on broccoli and spinach from USDA database.[3] Data on Wheatgrass juice from indoor grown wheatgrass.[2]

It does have an edge of B12. since chickens eat lots of bugs and B12 is stored very well by animals and needed in very small doses. I don't think many birds run into B12 difficulties.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wheat grass nutrition

Plus, cows grazing on rapidly growing green grass give superior cavity fightin' milk with Activator X (the price factor), as long as the milk is not destroyed by pasteurization.

o

Do you have a source on this Activator X? Is it something in wheat grass or something that is made by the cow?

o

Actually, some farms sell it in 'high vitamin butter oil'. You can learn about it on the Weston A Price's website. Since I started drinking raw milk and modified my diet (nixing most refined foods, refined sugar, soy, MSG's, etc) I regained my health and my teeth! A great book to read is "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon, it even has some recipes that are really good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weston A Price etc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here