Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seramas

Tiny Chicken weighs 3.5 ounces

seramas
15 years ago

2 year old Serama Hen weighs 3 1/2 ounces, smaller than Jumbo Bobwhite Quail. Just finished a breeding session and will be put on a nutritional building diet to prepare her for a heavy molt. Out of her last 58 eggs all were fertile will post how many hatched when the last few finish incubating. The eggs were smaller than a nickle and 4 chicks fit into a teaspoon with room to spare.

{{gwi:36182}}

{{gwi:36184}}

{{gwi:36186}}

Comments (13)

• seramas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mr. Q--Jumbo Bobwhite Quail. Compare Thimblina to Mr. Q.

{{gwi:36187}}

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Is Mr. Q calm enough that you can get a picture of him next to your hand? I just don't see anything in that picture that I can use to wrap my head around how big exactly Mr. Q is.

I would also like to see a picture of four chicks in a teaspoon., if you don't think that would be too stressful on them.

Thanks for sharing.

• fancifowl
    15 years ago

Have ya ever seen the chickens raised in a glass gallon jug? Last i saw it, it was in poultry Press some years back. There was a big stew over that.

• seramas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a couple pictures of her eggs. They are due to hatch in 11 days. The chicks that have hatched from her are 12, 32 and 50 days old now. They are very fragile if dropped from even a foot high they will usually die. Three of her eggs fit in a teaspoon, the chicks from these eggs are only about 1/2 to 2/3 the eggs volume and as you see the fit nicely.

{{gwi:36188}}

{{gwi:36189}}

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I went in your album and found this photo seramas.
    {{gwi:36190}}

HOW PRECIOUS!!

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Oh those are the cutest things ever!

• seramas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is a white Serama chick one of the larger Seramas. The tiny minis are no bigger than my little fingers nail.

When the next batch hatches I'll post pictures of them.

I have an old picture printed on photo paper somewhere of the tiny ones but so many to sort through to find it. I have 18 chicks in the palm of my hand and room for more.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

whaaaaaat? I have to see that!

I can not find the thread to see how you responded to my comment that you protect the birds from falling and then you fall. How are you doing by the way? and where was that thread???

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

I think the thread you are looking for is Up high

I can't wait to see the really tiny birds. Do they behave like "normal" chickens at that size? I would really love to see a flock of 3-5 oz. chickens running around.

• seramas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are 'normal' as chickens can be. They can not free range even in our presence due to the fact that sparrow hawks will pick them off as you watch. In our area S-Hawks are very common.

The babies are so tiny mice will eat them as they sleep-they are like baby quail with shorter legs. All their food must be moistened so they can eat enough for proper growth. They must have 28% protein diet until 15-17 weeks old.

They won't lay on regular layer ration, the protein has to be +23%. So many Serama breeders claim their minis were infertile but if they would have use a higher protein layer ration they would of found as I did that they have different diet requirements that other Seramas.

They breed 100% minis. Never had a normal sized Serama from them. Each generation they seem of be getting smaller and smaller. These are the tiniest chicken eggs I've ever hatched-they require a more rigid temperature/humidity levels to insure hatchability.

There is a new computerized home incubator that is so accurate (+/- 0.05 temperature/humidity control)-OUCH-they are $4500 each. Plan on getting one this summer. It is designed for very small eggs and/or for fussy hard to hatch eggs.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

I can't see these pictures. I NEED TO SEE THESE PICTURES, UNDERSTAND?!

Such cuteness MUST be shared. :(

Velvet ~:>

• bekisar
    15 years ago

Doeas ANYONE know how I can get in touch with the person called "seramas "?

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

He seems to be on a vacation or something. Hope he is alright.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor