Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Livestock Trailers for small farmer

Posted by blueberrier1 6/ky (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 16, 10 at 14:58

Any suggestions for hauling three steers (2 yr old Angus-cross), to the processor in a 12' stock trailer? The floors are 10" planking with 1/4-1/2" spacing between.

I read in a farm mag that a cattle panel stapled to the floor minimizes animal slipage during travel. The distance is 7 miles and nearly flat roads. Would you advise cattle matting instead? Years ago, in truck hauling, an inside the truck gate reduced the space, so the cattle remained upright. Would you advise this for the trailer? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Livestock Trailers for small farmer

just throw in some wood chips or old hay or straw. make the bedding pack several inches deep.
josh

o
RE: Livestock Trailers for small farmer

Throw them in and head to town. I've hauled literally thousands of head of cattle on plain wood floor trailers with no problems unless the animal was lame when they got on the truck.
Remember, cattle stand on FOUR legs and they are lower to the ground... What seems difficult for us is a walk in the park for them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here