Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wildlife Conservation Questions

Posted by ann_tx8 z8/East Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 15:42

Some time ago, I received help on a Wildlife Forum at GardenWeb, but cannot find it now. On my small farm, 40 acres currently receive a wildlife conservation tax exemption, and I would like to exchange information with others regarding this subject to assure that I am doing the most I can and retain my tax exemption. Previously, I got information on homemade deer feeders, recipes for wildlife "licks", etc. but cannot find anything like this now.

Do you know if this forum has been eliminated or if it exists under another name? I cannot find subjects such as "deer feeders" under the Nature forum.

I am especially interested in learning about building habitats, harvesting water (in a woodland),seeding, providing food, general "tricks of the trade" on providing for and protecting wildlife.

If this forum is eliminated and not included within another forum, can you direct me to another such forum online? I got such valuable help and hate to see it disappear.

And perhaps I am overlooking it, but I can't find a way to communicate directly with the GardenWeb hosts. Any help here will also be appreciated.

Many thanks to all,

Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wildlife Conservation Questions

If you can't find the wildlife sources you are after look for hunting sources, I regularly watch the outdoor channel (I'm not so much into the shooting part, but you get to see a lot of good shots of animals in the wild with out the cutesy stuff and sanctimonious self righteousness you get with animal planet) and a huge portion of their time is spent on food plots and habitat assessment. It looks like whitetails are what you are after from reading your post.

o

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/wildlife/

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildlife forum

o

Ann,
Contact the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department for information on habitat construction, plantings for food lots, etc. TPWD has wildlife biologists who are very helpful, and the service/advice is free.
Trey Carpenter of TPWD has a pamphlet "Small Acreage Management Techniques" that has lists of desirable plants and how to provide cover for feeding and escape, among other things. It should be downloadable, but if not, TPWD can send you the pamphlet.
I envy you--we tried for Wildlife assessment, but were told that our county has a minimum acreage requirement, and our nine acres didn't qualify.

o

Hi Ann! I second marlingardener's suggestion. The local man at TX Parks & Wildlife in my area has been sooooo helpful, I wonder if he had nothing to do all day before I came along with all my questions! He came out to my property and spent the entire day walking around with me, making suggestions and identifying plants and showing me how to identify scat and tracks. Gave me his email address and has continued to answer all questions, tell me where to look for info, etc. for years.

I would be glad to exchange info on this board if that works for everybody. Wildlife is a part of farm life around our place.

o

Thank you, everyone. I've been in touch with Texas Parks and Wildlife and they are wonderful to work with and pleased to pass on a wealth of information. I appreciate your lead on this.

Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here