Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to understand rototill, plow, harrow and disk

Posted by toffee-el Z9 Sunset Z13 SoCal (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 16:39

I am a total newbie going from small backyard gardening to a 2 acre hobby farm. I used a rototiller for my suburbia garden, now trying to learn Plowing - Harrowing - Disking and their relationship to rototilling.

With help from wikipedia, should I assume that plowing is deeper rotation of dirt. When finished ground will be uneven with large chunks of turned over soil? Then the disking is to chop up the large chunks into smaller chunks? Then harrowing to further even them out and leave a more or less flat ground?

So together plowing-disking-harrowing basically do a deeper and more intense job of rototilling?

Thanks for helping this newbie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to understand rototill, plow, harrow and disk

The plowing route is easier, possibly a little deeper. but I think the end result of a tiller is hard to beat.

o

If you are planting a small 2 acre garden you can get a rototiller attachment for your tractor and till your garden up. Either way would work. On our garden we run the tiller attachment through the garden then use the plow to make rows.

o

rotary tilling can be a 1 step operation and gets the soil turned/mixed to about 6 inches. plowin turns the soil over without mixing to from 6-10 inches(8 is most common). Disc harrowing breaks up and mixes soil and residue while compacting the soil. There are several types of harrows, all have roughly the same effect. Either trotary tilling or plowing can be the right way to go, just depends on soils and preference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here