Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooksish

RE: Outside dog question

brooksish
15 years ago

my parants are allergic to dogs. my dad loves them and so do i and i finally got both of them talked into my dream of getting a puppy! it can't be inside, so it will live outside and sleep in our garage at night with my three cats and my other dog. my other dog is 7-8 years old and is a border collie, he was 3 and had been abused when we got him and he doesn't chase cows. he is a real fraidy cat and loves attention but we are really lucky and he never leaves the house unless it is with us in the pickup or chasing the four wheeler. i am in junior high and am in speech and golf, which don't get done until the end of school, which is when i plan to get my golden retriever pup. i have learned a lot about the breed , but i can't figure out if they roam or not. we live on a huge farm with cattle and horses and although i want the pup to run around the farm and get excersise, i really don't want her to roam really far because there are other dogs a couple miles from us and i really don't want to spay her because we might breed her in the future but i also don't want to kennel her up in the garage or tie her because i hate when people do that! our yard is already fenced to keep cattle out, but it is not enough to keep a dog inside it. we live a mile from the highway and i dont want her to get ran over or visit the neighbors!! do golden reatrievers roam? because if they do i want to know how to stop them !! please help me out

Comments (6)

• fancifowl
    15 years ago

Goldens are reputed to be very smart and trainable from what I have read. I would begin training immediatly teachuing her to come when called, thats the most important in my book. I am a houndsman , never worked with others but that is the most basic command. Males will seek herm out when she is in season and will come from miles distant, thaty I know as fact. A good secure kennel is worth the effort in that respect. Males can and will scale wire to breed a female so a top is in order. Any dog left to have free run, no matter how well trained will wander off eventually.

• jonas302
    15 years ago

Yes they definatly roam
    invisable fence is super I installed some here when I got my Black lab pup we live on the hwy and have lost dogs to getting run over she is such a happy dog running all over the yard but is safe if you aleady have cattle fence you can run it on the same posts so you dont need to bury the wire there I think they can fence 10-15 acres watch for them cheap on ebay search for radio fence any questions I would be glad to help

keeping the neighbor dogs away from her will not be so easy when my dog went into heat she had a gentleman caller from a farm 7 miles away

have fun with your pup
    Jonas

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

One of my co-workers tried an invisible fence with her dog and she said he would run right through it hesitating as he got zapped then carrying on. She probably did not have a strong enough one for him though so if you go that route I imagine you need to make sure it is powerful enough for your breed.

• seramas
    15 years ago

Nothing can replace training. I have this thing about my dogs not eating anything that is not in their dish. Many years ago had a bad person living near us and she would walk about the neighborhood and throw poison laced meat for the dogs to eat. She ended up in jail for it, but one of my dogs had one thrown in his kennel (she had to walk 250 feet onto our property to put it in his kennel) he ate it and died. A very valuable male shar pei ($50,000+), at the time he was one of 5 known pureblooded males of his breed (total of 103 shar pei existing worldwide). From then on all were taught to only eat out of their dishes.

Dogs are creatures of habit, so in training always be consistent and protestant in your training. I love watching the 'dog whisperer' on TV. He is good and one can learn a lot watching that show.

So train with treats and/or affection-I always used affection, petting, rubbing and speaking softly to them when they do good. I also use the word 'STOP'. No matter what they are doing I'll sharply say stop and reward them when they do. Even when I give the command to do something and before they complete it I'll say 'stop'. They will stop. This way no matter what they are doing when I say 'stop' they freeze where they stand. So important to have this control command. Especially if there are people and other animals passing by you have a means to prevent them from chasing after them.

I can go on and on-but simply train them well and give them plenty of positive attention. Just as important as food/water, you are their pack leader!

• brendasue
    15 years ago

I agree with Seramas about the training. Training is extremely important, but should not be the sole element in containing a dog. I admit I have no retreiver experience and am not familiar with the characteristics.

Having said that here's my .02:

My Pyrs will stop short at my command also, but if the threat is great enough they will deliberately disobey if they think I'm in danger, then saunter back when all is clear, we're talking a fox or a coydog or similar. It is part of the breed, independent thinkers. My childhood Doberman & our deceased sheltie obeyed no matter what-I could stop them in mid-air almost. It depends on the breed, and the level of training they've received, and how much they respect you. Normal circumstances training works, it's the abnormal circumstances you have to worry about.

My sisters sheltie was very well trained to the invisible fence, until she saw a rabbit outide her boundries & went right through the invisible barrier, and was hit & killed by a car. It might have worked better if there was a visible barrier in addition to the invisible fence, but we'll never know.

In your situation I'd recomend electric fencing. If you have no electricity buy a solar operated controller. Run the wire at the bottom (18"aove ground) & top (2-3"above fence), then around the outside bottom(18"). The inside wires will keep your dog in, and the outside wire will keep other dogs out. Train the dog to the boundries. Use your existing fence if at all possible. Train her in such a manner she enjoys your company, and when she is out with you she will stay with you.

Brendasue

• acer
    15 years ago

If you live far enough away from roads and neighbors, I think a well-trained Golden should be able to live outside without being kenneled or fenced. But, if you don't get her spayed and don't want mixed-breed pups, you MUST confine her when she's in heat. Male dogs WILL show up and try very hard to get to her. They'll tear through fences or dig underneath, so she must be in a very, very secure pen. A female dog will usually go into heat twice a year, with each heat period lasting around two weeks. Expect the first heat anytime after she's 6 months old (but she should not be bred that young). Watch for signs of heat (also called estrus) in her. Do some research about what to look for, but I can tell you that her vulva (girl-dog parts) will swell and bleed. She will pee more frequently, too, as a way to get her smell out to other dogs. Watch her closely for signs of heat and confine her right away. If you do this right, I think you'll have great success with your dream of having a Golden retriever.