Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Personally, I think that house gutters cause more problems.

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 17:54

Just cleaned the gutters for the sixteenth time this year. I found some rotting of the wood above the gutters. A section that doesn't have gutters is in better shape.

As long as there is a slope going away from the house, which I have, it seems that I would be better off if I took them down.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Personally, I think that house gutters cause more problems.

My hubbys a builder you guys keep him in business.Theyre there for a reason,take them away your next problem will be foundation problems,water in the basement guaranteed.They have screens etc to put over the spouting fit right in then you wouldnt have to clean leaves out.

o

I don't have a basement! :)

o

We only have gutters where the water would drip on your head as you go in and out, or where there is sidewalk (and hence roofwater on the head) or flower beds that would splash mud everywhere. Otherwise, it just comes off the roof and drops to the ground/grass.

I think the main issue with gutters is keeping water from heavy rains from pounding on the ground, eroding a low spot that keeps the water near the house where it could cause settling of your foundation even without a basement, and splashing back on the siding where it could potentially find a way underneath. If you had a good slope away from the house and good grass cover to prevent erosion and splashing on the house, gutters may not give you much benefit except over doors and sidewalks.

Then again, I'm in a dry climate and if we get 2 or 3 inches of rain over a several week period, we find all kinds of interesting problems from the excessive wetness--not from lack of gutters, but just from generally excessive moisture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here