Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!!! Hen raids the nest of another hen

Posted by belfair_farm Belfair WA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 5, 10 at 18:36

OK so our black silky hen has been setting some foster eggs for about two and a half weeks now. We are very much looking forward to the new chicks and this silky hen is the best mommy....But she started with five eggs and the eggs started disappearing. Finally just yesterday we caught our young (she doesent lay yet) white rock hen EATING a under developed chick next to the silkys nest box...Our hen is down to two eggs now and our white rock hen eats fetuses....Why??? I have heard of egg eaters but I have never heard of this. Our silky hen is so little and the white rock just overpowered her. We moved our setting hen and her eggs but what to do with the white rock hen we dont know....We have never had her eat any other eggs before so its just the developed eggs she wants...so confused

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!!! Hen raids the nest of another hen

It doesn't matter why. Some hens eat eggs. Cull her.

o
RE: Help!!! Hen raids the nest of another hen

I've learned to always separate my broodies who are setting on a nest of eggs. Mostly because other hens will crawl in with her to lay MORE eggs, or other broodies get jealous they fight over who gets to sit on the nest--and eggs get broken. Also if there is a hen sitting on the eggs at ALL times, the eggs don't get their 'rest' when mama goes out to eat, drink, poop & dustbathe that they need and nature has programmed into the process.

As rockguy said, it doesn't matter WHY she's eating the chicks, just that she is. :( Silkies are so sweet they are no match for bullies. Chickens are omnivores who naturally eat small living things such as mice and lizards, so you really can't fault her for doing what comes naturally. Check to make sure your girls are getting enough protein in their diet, though. I'd isolate your broody hen & eggs,

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here