Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie312_gw

How to clean chickens eggs??

natalie312
15 years ago

We have chickens and were wondering how to clean there eggs? HELP!!!

Comments (4)

• brendasue
    15 years ago

Gently wash them under running water, as soon as possible. No soap, remember the shell is very porous and will absorb it. Keeping the nesting box with clean shavings will greatly reduce dirty eggs, as will training the chickens to lay in the nesting box.
    BrendaSue

• johanna_h
    15 years ago

I rarely wash the eggs. They stay fresher if you leave the bloom (that's the clear coat) from the hen on them.

If an egg has yolk from a broken egg or dried poop on it, I wash it as quickly as possible, only rubbing where necessary.

Often you can wipe off anything clinging to the egg with a dry towel -- that's a better idea, I think.

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I rub the poop off under warm running water, dip in slight bleach solution, rinse and dry. For just small spots I use a piece of sandpaper.

I clean out any dirty nesting boxes as soon as possible and replace with clean bedding. It can sometimes be hard to keep them all clean enough, though, but mostly the eggs I collect are clean. Out of about 18-19 eggs there are always a couple of very poopy ones from the same nest.

I sure do wish I knew who keeps pooping in that one nest! I have six nests that get used ane only one is always poopy. It's frustrating. I clean it out every day. I think someone is sleeping in there.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

The shelf life of eggs depends on the weather. I collect eggs once or twice a day. The hen's body naturally covers an egg when it's laid with a substance called "bloom", a cuticle which helps seal out bacteria--that's why eggs can last through the 21 day incubation period, still be OK and not turn into little stink bombs. When you wash an egg you oftentimes remove the bloom, that's why they should be refrigerated after washing.

You may want to wash your eggs prior to using them, as dangerous bacteria such as Salmonella can be on the outside of the eggshell. Of course, if a bird is infected it can be inside as well, but usually sick birds aren't laying eggs. In some parts of the world people don't wash eggs and/or refrigerate them, and it works just fine for them. Prior to washing and refrigeration keep your eggs stored somewhere cool and dry.

I simply soak my eggs for a few minutes in tepid water to loosen any debri, then rub them gently under running water with a wet paper towel to remove any gunk. As has been said, keep your nest boxes nice and clean and it'll reduce the amount of chicken poop and dirt on the eggs. :)

Velvet ~:>