Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_wa

Monday Duck Photos

eric_wa
14 years ago

Hello,

I'll be posting duckling photos every Monday. They will out grow the brooder rather quickly.

Duckling arrived Feb 10th.

{{gwi:36394}}

{{gwi:36024}}

Feb 15th

{{gwi:36395}}

{{gwi:36396}}

Eric

Comments (26)

• jillzee
    14 years ago

I love your duck photos! Thank you so much for posting them, and keep em coming!

• bigshoes213
    14 years ago

Awww! They are so cute. What kind are they? I cant wait to see my pictures.

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

16 White Layer and 3 Cayuga.

Eric

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

ahhh this brings back memories. I made a similar duckling pen in my garage. I used Old closet doors for the sides. They are SO messy. I would clean it twice a day.When they go t a bit older I put another similar pen outdoors with a coverand each morning out theyd go and each evening my hubby and I would one by one bring them in.
    I was only raising 11 so yours will be even messier,Good luck!

• beegood_gw
    14 years ago

I just love ducks. Great pictures. Ordered some once to raise for butchering but cancelled the order as there was no way I could kill a duck. Chickens & turkeys no problem but ducks are just too impossible for me to kill and eat.

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

Darn cute is for sure!

Thanks for posting.

Pam

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well if you can't butcher a duck, forget rabbit.

{{gwi:36028}}

Eric

• beegood_gw
    14 years ago

I did have rabbits and altho I never did the actual killing I did all the rest. Could skin ,clean and have a rabitt chilling in cold water in under 3 minutes. And I enjoyed eating them. Ducks I just can't.

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

oh goodness, more babies. Aren't they precious! Any other babies?

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pam,

I'm hoping to have the first of many Muscovy ducklings in April / May. No more babies for now.

Eric

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Feb. 22nd.

More pictures from the Quack Addict.

{{gwi:36397}}

{{gwi:36398}}

{{gwi:36399}}

{{gwi:36400}}

Where's Waldo

Eric

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

wow,amazing how they grow isnt it,
    Alot of work tho this is why we eat our eggs haha. I could just imagine 700 dirty ducklings running helter skelter!

• johanna_h
    14 years ago

It just quacks me up how quickly they grow (ok, I couldn't resist the pun!). Last year when I had two ducklings with eight chicks, the ducks quickly became the "muscle" for the chicks in the coop with the adults. They were so big no one would mess with them!

--Johanna

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

Great pictures, wow, they get big fast! :)

I won't have babies until Friday, that's when the eggs in my incubator are supposed to hatch. We're going to be showing the hatch & babies on our webcam again this year so people can see & hear them, it should be fun! As soon as they start to pip I'll start the cam and post a thread here with the link.

This year I ordered eggs online, we'll be hatching Salmon Faverolles, Giant Cochins, Silkies and Belgian d'Uccles.

Velvet ~:>

• gardengalrn
    14 years ago

Keep the pics coming! I can't believe how big they got in a week. Lori

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Next week they will be out of the brooder and on the duck house floor. More photos March 1st

Eric

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

I was wondering how much of a difference they would be from one week to the next, pretty amazing.

Looking forward to next weeks pics.

Pam

• citytransplant(zone5)
    14 years ago

Eric, Is there problems introducing ducklings to the adult ducks you have? I want to increase my chicken population but am afraid of what the hens and Charlie the rooster might do to them.

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:36401}}

{{gwi:36402}}

Raising the duckling in the duck house seems to ease the transition. Now that they are out of the brooder and on the duck house floor, they can talk through the screen. Seeing and talking gets them acquainted, but also protection with the screen. Many more weeks before I let them out unsupervised.

I've never raised chickens, the pecking order maybe a little more difficult to deal with.

Eric

• paulns
    14 years ago

I've wondered the same about adding a few ducks to the chicken coop - do they cohabit well together, with the addition of a water bucket for the ducks?

The thread title had me wondering, for a second, what kind of breed is a Monday Duck. Then read the puns and felt this old rhyme coming on (bear with me).

Monday's duck is fair of face,
    Tuesday's duck is full of grace,
    Wednesday's duck is full of woe,
    Thursday's duck has far to go.
    Friday's duck is loving and giving,
    Saturday's duck works hard for a living,
    But the duck born on the Sabbath Day,
    Is fair and wise and good and gay.

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Like ducks to water.

Is it scary out there??
    {{gwi:36403}}

Not so scary!
    {{gwi:36404}}

Hey its a big bucket of water!
    {{gwi:36405}}

Last one in is a rotten egg!
    {{gwi:36406}}

Who calling a rotten egg!
    {{gwi:36407}}

Run, big scary guy with a camera!
    {{gwi:36408}}

If you want to see more pics, take a "gander" at my photobucket page. You may need to be a member?

More on the 8th

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent Uploads

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

LOL ... big scary guy with camera! Look at how big they are!

Looks like they are getting along with the other ducks?

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Oh Eric Ive spent the day with dad at the drs and then my appts all the while thinking I can't forget the Monday Peep show when I get home. Very sweet!
    I loved watching mine get their freedom,they were afraid of the pond at first.How funny they are!
    Thanks for sharing!
    tanya (fellow duck parent!)

• gardengalrn
    14 years ago

Thanks again for the pics, I can't believe how big they are getting and how strong those little legs look in this amount of time. I think I might try to get a few of my MIL's babies when she hatches them and try again since I didn't have much luck the first time. This has probably been asked but don't your ducks fly? I have seen the ones sitting on top of your barn, etc. They don't fly OFF, I guess I should ask? Lori

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Only the Muscovies fly. The Campbells, Golden 300, White layer, and Cayuga are two heavy or have underdeveloped wings?

Muscovies fly from rooftop to rooftop. They basically follow me around. I've read that some fly around the neighborhood but always come home. They know where the food is. :~)

Eric

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Started a new post. Something happened to the last set of pictures here. It's better to start a new anyway, better for the dial-up members.

Eric

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?