Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken Eggs.

Posted by JakeBremer Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 18:55

I have 25 chickens. And Im wanting to start an egg business. But, I dont know what to price them at. Any suggestions? I live outside the Dallas, TX area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken Eggs.

Its been awhile but I was getting 2.oo a dozen,mine were big,and fresh & all I have no idea even what a dozen eggs cost anymore.

o

Does it matter what color the egg is?

o

Brown eggs are generally thought of by the public as 'healthier' because usually brown layers cannot be kept in the same squalid, overcrowded battery hen conditions as white egg layers--because brown layers require better conditions, they produce better eggs. So brown eggs equal higher prices. If you have a roo in the flock you can offer fertile eggs, seen by some cultures as healthier (for similar reasons--roos cannot be kept in battery cages). Dark brown or blue-green eggs are exotic and unusual.

But eggs from free range hens that are fed a quality diet with greens included are the top of the line and command the highest prices. They have a richer, more yellow yolk that stands up higher in the dish when cracked open and a thicker white, with MUCH better egg flavor. That's what you should offer, and make sure your customers know about your better quality eggs. Tell them to compare them with store-bought eggs or get photos yourself of the eggs side-by-side for comparison.

Go to your local market and compare egg types and prices, factor in your feed and housing expenses per hen and you should be able to come up with a number.

Velvet ~:>

o

My guess: $3 a dozen (give or take).

Check craigslist to get an idea of the going rate. Farmers markets are also good places to find farm eggs.

Just keep in mind that you might need a permit and/or an inspection (especially if you're going to sell to the public).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here