Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Delaware Chickens

gcmastiffs
16 years ago

I bought a lovely Delaware Pullet at the Fair last week. She was friendly and calm, even while on exhibit in a noisy place for weeks.

We got her this Tuesday, checked her for parasites (found none) and crated her in a large wire kennel, inside the main coop. She allowed me to pick her up right away, and was calm while being held. She immediately began to eat/drink and scratch in the shavings, completely at ease.

She visited with my hens (Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons) through the wire, and all went well.

I had planned to keep her separate for 3-7 days, but let her out on Wednesday, since she seemed so comfortable.

She is great! Gentle, curious, nice to the other birds and LOVES being free-range. 30 minutes after I released her, I checked back, and she was in a nesting box with my little white stray Bantam Hen tucked under her wing. They adore each other(G). It looks so cute to see the "white" gals stay together as they forage. She quickly learned to roam the yard and runs to us for treats.

Are Delawares always this nice? If so, I want more, as she is quiet, sweet and gorgeous.

Best few bucks I ever spent at a Fair!

Lisa

Comments (7)

• sundae
    16 years ago

I hatched 3 out one time, and they were sweet as could be, always under my feet when I went in the coop area. I would sit down on a bucket and they would always be right there for me to handle, the other chickens did not act that way. But I have heard they are calm and very pleasing to raise.

Sandy

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

I read this and looked them up. They seem to all have wonderful dispositions making them a very desireable bird. The fact that they came from Delaware (cold) means they're probably fairly cold hardy too. What I've read says they're good for meat and eggs, also. I'm going to see if they're available around here. Friendly, quiet, gentle disposition means a lot!

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Della" has become a special pet. She comes running when called, eats out of our hands and allows us to pick her up without fuss. She gets along with all of our animals.

I will definately look for more of her breed for our flock. She is terrific!

Lisa

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

I have Delawares 24 hens and 2 roosters. The roosters each have their own harem of hens. They are very calm and affectionate chickens. If I sit down they come roost on me and want to snuggle and fall asleep in my lap. My roosters are very tame I can walk up to them and pick them up without getting pecked. They also like to be held and fall asleep in my arms. Some of my hens will softly peck my leg to get my attention because they want to be picked up. One flock is free range during the day and they have fun roosting on the goats. The goats.think their toe nails give great back massages. I doubt I will get any other breed of chicken.
    {{gwi:36416}}{{gwi:36417}}
    Suellen

• susandonb
    16 years ago

WOW! I have been debating with myself (and I am losing!) on what breed to buy. Hope to get my first chickens by or around June 1st. Searched for these at some of the hatcheries on line and those who sell them do not have any? Are they so popular that they are hard to find?

If anyone knows a reputable supplier I am strongly leaning toward Delewares. I would be willing to put an order in now and pay for them for delivary in June.

Thanks for this great thread. Suellen, your pics are great!

Being the first time ever having chickens I hoped to have a couple different breeds but I always wonder if that is wise when you are prefering a certain behavior? I am looking for the behavior described here by Deleware owners.

Thank you,
    Susan in NC

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

Me too! I'm sold! I'll be getting our first chickens soon and have researched many types. I will probably have a few different types but I will definately have Delawares after readng this thread!

• suellen_delawares
    16 years ago

Hi, You might be having trouble finding this breed because The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy (ALBC) has Delawares on their critical list which means "Fewer than 500 breeding birds in the United States, with five or fewer primary breeding flocks (50 birds or more), and globally endangered."
    I bought my Delawares at Ideal Poulty. We are very happy with the chickens and service we got from them. The site says that they are sold out until the end of March/April. There is an option to be notified when they are in.
    Strombergs Hatchery has them listed. I don't know if they are sold out and I have never ordered from them.
    http://www.strombergschickens.com/stock/large_fowl.php

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
    Suellen
    Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ideal Poultry