Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

nest box ideas

msjay2u
15 years ago

seramas posted an idea for nest boxes. It seems to be one of the most asked questions on here. I was doing a little research on them and found these photos. They appear to be very easy to make.

Here is one in different stacking configurations. They sell here locally for $40 EACH.

{{gwi:36438}}

{{gwi:36439}}

{{gwi:36440}}

Here is another style

{{gwi:36441}}

{{gwi:36442}}

as i see it all you need is some scrap wood and a nail gun. Where can you get scrap wood free or nearly so? Lowes believe it or not. I found out that when people get wood cut they usually leaves the scraps in the store so as not to get them mixed up. You can get it free if you ask about it. Just go to where the saw is and look around that area and see if they have any laying around. Ask the person working the saw about it. If they don't give it to you it will be dirt cheap.

Comments (32)

• brendasue
    15 years ago

Yes they are a nice design. Wish we had done ours similar to that. Ours are just against the wall, lined up single-file. These ones are designed to reach in from the back & get the egg, correct? Looks like the one design butts against a wall though, like ours.

Old pallets would work for some of the pieces, too.
    Brendasue

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes they go against the wall.

Pallets..... a good idea!

tiger direct has an ad on craigs list beggin people to come get their palletts free. No truck though

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Great designs! Did you build those? Mine are very similar to the secound group, but against the wall and square. Two story like that too. The higher story doesn't get used very much, though. I never find more than two eggs up there when there are several in each one down below. There's always a couple in the shredded paper bag too.

Free is always good! I love to find free stuff too! It sure is great to have a truck!

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

others please feel free to post your simple nestboxes.

I found a truck ride to Tigerdirect to pick up some pallets and I am going to call in the morning to see if they still have any avail. They say on the ad they have 30 a week and looking for a regular pickup. That will not be me however, it is always nice to know where I can get free wood.

I like the design of the bottom set of nestboxes and will "attempt" to make 2 for my girls if I get the free wood. I will stack them side by side though not on top of each other. I need to get them from laying in the pen where they lay now cause it is poop and eggs mixed. I clean the box everyday but the eggs still get dirty.

Oh and I think I found a source for layeing Ameracaunas $4 4 months old. If they are still avail picking them up tomorrow too. Want easter eggs so bad. LOL

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Pallets, especially hardwood, are great to burn in the wood stove too.

• brendasue
    15 years ago

And for storing hay on to keep it off the ground, making bluebird houses, temporary kidding pens, and if stuffed with hay or the gaps closed to keep animals off the wet spring ground to prevent hoof scald.
    Used pallets are the best.
    Brendasue

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw some birdhouses made out of pallet wood. I am gonna have fun with them.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I HAVE GOT TO GET MY TRUCK FIXED!!!!
    Can't fit many pallets in the back of a Cavalier.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would be in trouble if I had a truck I promise you that. How come they don't sell beaters around here for like $500?

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Mine just needs new water pump. Hubby can put one on, he just doesn't want to work outside on it in the snow and ice and wind and winter cold. Go figure!

I would fix it myself, but I just don't know how, very frustrating! I have to learn how to fix a truck!

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

you can't do it all superwoman!!

• seramas
    15 years ago

Yes she can! Go to Jay Leno's Garage there is a link that has a list of 'How to fix my car' books. There is one for every make and model. That is where my Aunt got her book to fix her old 1957 Cadillac. She is 69 last fall and she fixed an old basket case, she did all the mechanical and most of the body work except painting. If she can Runningtrails can if she wants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jay Leno's Garage

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

MsJay, Get Nelda to tell you the deal she got on her truck.Unbelievable.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nelda... can you share your story?

When I first moved back here I was saying I needed to buy a truck because I loved shopping around. One of my co-workers told me she brought a truck when she first moved in her house because of her remodeling. She said she no longer needed it and offered me hers for $600 but at the time I was still living in a hotel (looking for a place) so I told her I would be able to buy it in a couple of months. She said "anytime I was ready let her know". Bottom line... I found out later she was gay and was trying to hit on me and when I told her I do not swing that way the truck offer was taken back. I was heart broken (over the truck).

I did not get my pallets. The guy finally got the opportunity to go get the pallets today and when he got there they were all gone. I was so upset even though my mouth said it was okay.

I have GOT to get a truck!! I hate having to depend on people for stuff like this. My handyman that comes over to help me sometimes has this old truck and I love it. I asked him several times to sell it to me but he keeps insisting he needs it. This is something like what I want. IT LOOKS LIKE IT BELONGS ON A FARM!!

{{gwi:34075}}

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Great old truck! Great barn too! I would be (I AM) lost without mine. I have to gather bags of shredded computer paper in the trunk and backseat of the cavalier right now.

If you have a farm, you need a truck!

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i KNOW. My trunk looks a mess from hauling hay.

• posy_pet
    15 years ago

Be sure and make the tops of the nest boxes slanted so they can't roost on them.Also mine have a 2 or 3" lip and sometimes I still have an egg thrown out(rooster?)Also that board that is the lip comes out to clean the nest.I have a small station wagon and haul skids and feed and stuff(crazy lady who likes free stuff too).Posy Pet

• nelda1234
    15 years ago

OK---You wanted to hear the story about my Truck. I bought a 1998 Black Chevy P/U 6cyl//auto w/Tahoe Cover, nice wheels, Bose' Stereo--with 94Thous. Mi,one owner, completely kept up on maintenance $100.00. Being in the right place at the right time. My Brother detailed it (((Awesome))

Nelda

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

YOU ARE KIDDING????!!!

I been looking for a deal like that but they are hard to come by.

I'M JEALOUS!!!

• nelda1234
    15 years ago

No I am so not kidding-the older gentleman had passed away and widows family was argueing about who should get what and so she just started selling things off CHEAP-she was sick of the fighting so right place at the right time! $100.00 fit right in our budge--just bought a half size trailer for 200 nice! I am all about bartering people down-I love to barter I never pay full price for anything if I can help it! If I can't get them to come down to what I want to pay I just walk away--sometimes they call me back and tell me to come and get it!! :) Just stopped by a house a week ago that had 7ft chain link fence panels for a kennel (10)of them-he wanted $10each-I left my # he called me today and told me to come and get them-I will go tomorrow and p/u--I will stop anywhere I see things sitting out in peoples yard and make a point to drive by several times-them stop make an offer--usually get what I want-found a ton of windows yesterday--gonna drive by twice a week and then stop make an offer! I love the thrill of the game--you can go to lowes and see there wood displays like for a special tool--guess what? when the special is over they throw the shevles away--I am johnny on the spot and take it off their hands! Everywhere I go I am always looking and always asking----can I have that!

Nelda

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish I can find a deal like that.

You were blessed. The only dumpster diving I do is if I see wood on construction sites. I take what I can fit in myhonda without scratching the leather. A truck would fit LOTS more.

I am going to work on finding a deal.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just put an ad on craigslist:

Beater wanted:
    Looking for a CHEAP pickup with clean title. I only need it to haul hay and for dumpster diving LOL

Looks do not matter but it must run and has to be automatic transmission.

Divorce sales...perfect. Piss off your ex and sell me the truck cheap.

• nelda1234
    15 years ago

If you see stuff at construction sites--just ask if anybody would deliver it for you! yes, I am very cautious about who I ask to do what--On the first coop I wanted to buy--that is until I went and looked at it-OMG 2 ft of poop in it--very nasty! he said he would even deliver it he just wanted it gone! could not take it need to much work holes everywhere etc.... needed more work than it was worth, MsJay-make road trips on days when it is raining or when you just need to get out--drive around areas you don't normally cruz--you can find lots of deals and it's fun!! Yes I was blessed regarding getting the truck I needed one real bad--DH was hit head on by 16yr old drunk driver and totaled our other truck and doing w/o a truck really sucked-yes he is fine-very, very blessed that day (4am in the morning)(getting a call that early is never good)came out with just bloody nose and bruises from the seatbelt. You will find a truck when you least expect it!

• nelda1234
    15 years ago

LOL MsJay - see you are getting the hang of it already! did you really put that in your add? ROFL!! I can not wait to hear about responses!

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Here ya go, I just made these--old school wooden boxes on the bottom--new, Hi-Tech boxes on top!
    {{gwi:36443}}

The hens took right to them, and are laying eggs in them right & left.
    {{gwi:36444}}
    We had one old monitor that wasn't working, I just went to the thrift store and got two more for $10.00 each and gutted them. The rest of the parts went to the toxic roundup.

Yay, recycling! :)

Velvet ~:>

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Computer monitors - I love it! Great idea! Those are easy to find for free!

Glad you're back, Velvet.

• nelda1234
    15 years ago

You Know it's early and I have been up for awhile now-But I bet it took me a good solid 5 minutes until it finally dawned on me-----OMG those are computers--LMAO for being so stupid! Velvet great Idea--I love them!! :) Way to recycle!! At first I saw the name Dell and thought they were made from a truck stereo system and no I do not know why I thought that-but I was thinking hey, your girls are gonna have great "tunes" while they lay there eggs! :)

Nelda

• brendasue
    15 years ago

Very, very creative. I never would have thought of using computer monitors. The next time I throw mine out the window, I'll just tell hubby we needed next boxes!

Thanks for the excuse (I mean idea!) Velvet!
    Brendasue

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is a cute idea.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh and I forgot to say that was a real ad on craigslist. I got lots of responses. seems like there are 2 magic numbers with beater trucks. $700 and $1600. all the responses had the same prices. here are 2 of the many Responses:
    I have a 1992 ford f150.The radiator hose broke the other night and went next day to fix and sure enough someone stoll the battery broke out the side windows and tried to break out the windshield and stole the spare tire.I used it to haul garbage to dump and to part time job.It has 245,000 miles transmission is rebuilt new water pump.Asking 700.00 or best offer.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    I have a 1979 Chevolet longbed truck it has a 350 motor auto. trans. camouflage in color it runs and drives great I am asking 700.00 for it if you are interested let me know I can be reached at xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My boss told me to check out the last one because the year of the truck means it does not have strict emmissions (we have to have inspections), they made zillions of these trucks so the parts are easy to find and fairly inexpensive, it has a long bed which means I can haul more and this will come in handy if I need to haul full sheets of plywood PLUS it runs. downside is that it is a gas guzzler and the color. uggh

I feel like CRAP so I got off work early. If I feel better this weekend I will go check it out.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I hope you feel better this weekend! It's awful to be sick when you're not even working.

I have a red F150. LOVE it! Don't remember the year. (Give me a break, ok, I'm 100% right brained and getting old :-)

You definately need a truck and I definantly need mine fixed! I collected large bags of shredded computer paper in the cavalier this morning. It doesn't take much to fill the wee trunk on that puppy :-(

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

that 150 is going to need a battery, windows and radiator hose off the top and will need to be towed. They are nice trucks though. If I am feeling better this weekend I might go up there to check it out but i am thinking the chevy might turn out to b e a better deal