Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brendasue_gw

Broccoli started, beets next

brendasue
15 years ago

Well we started the broccoli in pots, a 2nd batch will be started in a few weeks. We're hoping to freeze it for use from fall into winter. Not much freezer space so we can't plant too much.

We'll start the beets in a few weeks, all in one shot, as we want to get them processed before the real gardening begins. We do have some we left in the ground from last fall, we started them too late, hoping they'll take off early for us.

Has anyone else started seeds yet, and what area are you in? We're in the N. East, temps 15 last night, nice 40 degree day today.

Brendasue

Comments (10)

• nelda1234
    15 years ago

Hi Brendasue, Just started my broc also-started green comet what kind did you plant? and of course another round of wheat grass-going to try to start working chicken pen that I will be fencing off to plant wheat grass--right now a mud pit-but am going to see if I can work it some! It was beautiful here today high of 54 and sunny--my crocus is coming up and I think I saw some daffadils poking their heads up! yipee!! (Indiana) Put the first set of peeps in the big girl coop today and they are loving it!! :)

Nelda

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I have plenty of seed packets laying around but nothing in the dirt at all. Scared they won't grow and they won't as long as they are sitting on my coffee table. LOL!!!

• brendasue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We planted Green Goliath & Georges Farvorite Blend (3 mixed) from Burpee. I forgot to order them from Johne's so these are locally bought seeds.

Msjay2u I'm pretty sure they won't grow on your coffee table if they're still in the packets, let me know how that works out, ok?
    Brendasue

• nelda1234
    15 years ago

Me too! I want to know how that works out--cause if it does I am going to kick back and have a grand time this summer--that is----right after I go out and buy me a really BIG Coffee table!! LOL------(just teasing MsJay!)

Nelda

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

LOL @ those funny guys!

It's too early for me to start seeds indoors. Some years I have started them this early but without artificial light, they just get long and leggy before June 1.

However, it occurs to me now that I could start the cold weather veggies, like broccoli, now and plant them out as soon as the ground freezes. Is that what you do?

When do you start tomatoes and peppers indoors?

• seramas
    15 years ago

To early to start may veggies, but have been growing salad greens, spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage, radishes, turnips, Swiss chard; the list goes on; in 14 to 24" pots under commercial greenhouse lighting in the basement where it is easy for me to get to and the temp stays cool but not too cool.

We have a tomato patch that is 5 x 10 foot that we don't till under as all. Its covered with about 2" of wood chips and the tomatoes seeds sprout in the spring at the right time. They are then transplant into the main garden and they start producing about 2 weeks behind the ones we start 4-6 weeks early in the greenhouse. We make sure we scatter a bucket of over ripe tomatoes on this area in the fall and nothing more. This patch also produces many tomatoes but has to be thinned out once every 3-4 weeks during the growing season-seems funny to have tomatoes as weeds.'lol'

• brendasue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HUBBY I WANT MY GREENHOUSE NOW! WAAAAAAAH !!!!

please?

We have a serious problem moving those trays around - especially at Easter with a full house. Hubby built me a nice 2x4 type fence for my strawberries last year. It's on a slight hill facing south, and only about 2 feet high. I'm considering covering it with plastic & using it as a cold frame in a month or two. Lots of pots can go in there.

Brendasue

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Seramas, I would love to see your place. I bet it is so interesting!

Brenda Sue be like Aunt Bea and bake him a pie. LOL

• brendasue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeaaaa I don't bake. He banned me from that about 21 years ago-I can't follow a recipe to save my life.

I can cook anything, but not bake. Probably why I don't have a greenhouse.
    Brendasue

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I collected six patio doors last summer with cold frames in mind. I'm considering building a greenhouse with them one day, or five more cold frames - probably not. If you lived closer, Brendasue, you could have a patio door and make yourself a cold frame :-)

I'm using a double paned one for one cold frame as soon as the ground thaws. I already have it all built and hidden under the deck (so hubby doesn't burn it in the wood stove.) I got so tired of moving all those pots in and out and in and out last spring, too. I don't want to do that again this year.

Sponsored
Expert Cabinetry Refinishing & Refacing in Loudoun County