Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sheep pepole I need help!

Posted by thinknpink 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 10, 10 at 19:56

I raise St Croix hair sheep and last year I purchased a Katahdin from a friend who had her in a small paddock and was raised on feed. I took her because I have pasture and she had scours when I got her. I thought maybe pasture would help. She still makes poop like a big cow. I have wormed and wormed and still scours. My St. Croix I have never wormed! We even think my big Ram did not go there because of her nasty butt! My ewes are due to lamb in March and I don't see any bagging in her at all! I need to clear this up! I use Valbazen wormer is not making a dent in her!Like I said I never worm My St.Croix they have been very healthy, I have no clue why this breed would be so difficult!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sheep pepole I need help!

No sheep here but goats.

I suspect in sheep, as in goats, resistance to wormers is common. Try switching wormers to a different class of wormer. In goats we dose ORALLY due to their quick metabolism. Segregate the ewe so she deposits the bulk of resistent worms she sheds any place other than your pastures.

It could also be a coccidiosis issue(damage), or possibly Johne's. I'd have her tested for Johne's ASAP as if she is positive you are risking the rest of your herd every day she is defacating on your pastures. You don't say how old this Katahdin is, if younger than 6 months I might have given a different answer.

UC Davis(WA), Cornell(NY), or PAVLAB(TX) will perform the tests. Submit 3cc serum (blood sample) for a quick result, or some pellets for a long wait but more accurate results.

Brendasue

o

One breed characteristic of Katahdins is supposed to be that they're naturally a bit parasite resistant. They've got a lot of St. Croix blood in them. I can't help but wonder if this ewe is just damaged, long term or permanently, from being fed grain rather than pasture and hay. I rotationally graze and don't worm mine, and I haven't had any problem.

Dan

o

If this sheep has been fed on grain it could be that a sudden change to rich pasture has upset her . pen off a part of your pasture and feed her hay introducing her gradually to your pasture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here