Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

scarecrows anyone?

msjay2u
15 years ago

I do not have anything for scarecrows to help me with but I thought it was a neat idea. I searched for them tonight and found these. What a hoot!! Does anyone on here have any? I know IslandManMitch must with all that corn he grows.

{{gwi:36563}}

(notice her head is a broom)

{{gwi:36565}}

{{gwi:36568}}

(I could use my Navy uniform if I picked to do one like this. I think I still have one in the closet somewhere.)

{{gwi:36570}} (is this supposed to be a baby??)

OKAY SO I AM BORED...

Well now that I think of it I have this beautiful grapevine that I have never tasted any grapes cause they get stolen by the deer or something just as they ripen. Hmmmmm maybe I can put a scarecrow around the grapevine. I better not forget it is there though. Might scare the beejesus out of me at night.

Comments (16)

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

ROFL! That would happen to me too!

Cool scarecrows!
    Do they really work? If so I'm going to need several this coming summer for the bird feed I'm growing. Hmmmmm...I could get really creative here and have a lot of fun with this.

• sullicorbitt
    15 years ago

LOL! those could be quite the conversation pieces. I think they might be a lot of fun to have. I love the beach beauty! I think that's what it is????

Sheila

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wonder if they work too. I do not know anyone who has one for anything more than garden junk.

Anyone on here have one and if yes is it your opinion they work?

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

I have not used a scarecrow or know anyone that has in my area. What are scarecrows suppose to scare anyway? Crows? I have never had a problem with crows. I need something to scare the earworms and armyworms away from my corn. Anyone have a picture of a "Scareworm"?

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess they are for scaring crows and I guess that also means they will not help with my deer eating the grapes problem huh??

DANG...

Well thanks for busting that bubble!!

LOL well I might still make one even if it serves no purpose other than being garden junk.

Interesting instructions

Here is a link that might be useful: scarecrow history

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I'm going to make a scarecrow and put him in the pumpkin patch near the road (In the spring). What great fun!

• seramas
    15 years ago

According to my wife, I'm quite the 'scarecrow' in the morning. 'LOL'

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

No, I just tour the garden before I comb my hair in the morning--that's enough to scare anything away!
    Several years ago I found a hawk kite made of plastic. It really looks like a hawk, above and below. When I see the first signs of bird damage in the garden, I hang the kite from a pole--it moves around a bit and looks kind of realistic, at least to the birds. It works better than any scarecrow!

• ahbee01
    15 years ago

Here are mine, but they are for harvest decorations in Oct!
    I did get a hate mail letter, but mostly my neighbors thought it was a hoot!!!
    {{gwi:36572}}

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL
    I love it!!

• henhilton
    15 years ago

msjay2u, you might try hanging a couple of metal pie pans close together so they rattle against each other in the breeze near your grapes. I know some people around here say that scares the deer off. We don't have that problem cuz all our grapes are wild and grow so high in the trees it takes a ladder to get them!

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

ROFL! I love them, ahbee01! Those are great scarecrows! Who would send you hate mail for that? Some people have no sense of humour!

• ahbee01
    15 years ago

We think it was my SIL or someone she knows, we live across from each other and she can't stand us! Makes it hard on my brother and I to have a relationship! Can't prove it, but that my gut feeling!
    She had called the police on my ducks, but that is another story!!!

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am one of those sisters that never like my brothers girlfirends or his wife when he got married however, I would never call the police on the women (out of spite). I looked at that photo of your pumpkin/scarecrow and again I think it is absolutely hilarious. Was your scarecrow's butt facing your SIL house? thats a classic. ROFL!!!!

Thanks for posting that. I saved it in my files. I would never be able to do one like that though. My neighbors are very old and would not see the humor. They would think I lost my mind.

• ahbee01
    15 years ago

msjay2u, Yeah, it was kinda facing them, but I was just really making it face the road, and kinda had it angled a bit so it wouldn't seem like it was directed towards them!
    It did for a second cross my mind that if I was a spiteful gal that it was mooning her, buy I'm not the evil! Wink
    We used to get along until my Dad Died, seems that when all the BS started. Guess that happens sometimes.
    It really kills me when someone doesn't like me. Something I was never good at handling!!
    Glad you like it, I thought it was a hoot, and after the hate mail, it took everything I had not to put up a mooning Santa!!!

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SANTA CLAUSE? LOL now that would be too funny!!

Some people just do not have a sense of humor. There is always a sour puss out there that will take something funny and turn it into something it was not meant to be.

I thought it was a great idea and very creative.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz