Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fastfarmgirl

Farming for a living?

fastfarmgirl
15 years ago

HI everyone. I have been reading the forum for sometime but this is my first posting. I live and work on a farm in Alabama. I mean to say farming is my livelihood with no outside employer. I have never had a W-2. We have a home garden and field crops. We have horses, hogs, goats, cows, chickens and other critters. I was wondering how many people on here make their living farming? How about some of their living farming? How many have no income from farming? It is something I have been wondering about for some time but never asked. I hope I am not being to forward with my first posting but I had to ask.

Comments (24)

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Well welcome aboard! No I am not a farmer nor do I make any money with my animals. I guess that makes me a wanna be. LOL

I am sure you will be an asset to the group so please feel free to post whatever is on your mind. For the most part we are a friendly group but like any group little spats do sometimes break out. Don't let it scare you off.

{{gwi:36576}}

• brendasue
    15 years ago

Wanna be here too, but we wanna be self sufficient by the time we retire. We're working on it.
    Brendasue

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

Hobby farmer but some income from farming by default.

• fancifowl
    15 years ago

We have always farmed at some scale. Always had an off farm income. We have small acreage so we have bred purebred stock to gain those premium dollars, not always so premium! Sold extra hay at times. A few years ago I sold my business and the large stock and bred purebred poultry selling hatching eggs and started birds. Now its just a few ornamental fowl and the market garden. we dont generate a living but we do rely on the garden income. Most farmers around here have at least 1 off farm income, even the larger dairies.

• seramas
    15 years ago

I have income indirectly from farming-during the 70's and early 80's bought farms out of foreclosure and had the farmer stay to work the land, putting in many improvements (irrigation-fences-new buildings) forming a cooperative equipment use between them so no one farm had a large outlay for equipment. Having them all work each others place when needed to reduce labor expenses. Splitting profits 50/50. Once on their feet gave them the option to repurchase their farms if they wanted. To this day no one wants-they kinda like this arrangement.

Have many different investments that enable me to be self-employed. Currently enjoying retirement.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I'm a wanna be too and like Brendasue, wanna be self sufficient when we retire. We both work full time off the farm but do have a little income selling eggs and veggies, which I'm hoping to improve on next year. I think one of us will always work, at least part time, off farm.

Wow, great investment, Seramas!

• fastfarmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you msjay2u for the welcome and everyone else for your replies. I hope to hear from more members.

Islandmanmitch, do you own a private island and have or having your corn certified for select sales?

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

Yes I do. Yes I am trying to get my corn certified for select sales. How would a girl in bama know to ask me those questions? Do I know you?

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Maybe she is stalking you. (corn stalk get it) okay okay that was bad. LOL and fastfarmgirl I was only kidding...

You do live on an Island? Interesting! Are there wild horses there too?

• seramas
    15 years ago

Msjay2u, sounds like a 'kernel' of humor there!

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

Ok this thread is getting corny.
    No wild horses.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Hi Fastfarmgirl!

That's great that you can make a living farming!
    What areas of farming make you the most money.

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

Another hobby person here, I have some farm income from a part-time daylily nursery ... full time banker.

• kydaylilylady
    15 years ago

Husband runs 400 acre cow/calf operation for his mother, lawyers part time. I work full time and part time raise produce and prepare value added products for 2 farmers markets plus run a daylily nursery that has both local and internet sales.

• fastfarmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

runningtrails Crops.

islandmanmitch Last year my buyer stop by. Knowing I am a honey fanatic he offered me a sample of honey. Wanted my opinion. OMG!!! It was absolutely the best. I never tasted honey so unique. He said it came from a private island in Florida. It is surrounded by national forest land. He called you the islandman. You were trying to get your corn certified. That is all he would tell me. He wanted a contract on your honey. I don't blame him. You have the real "Ulee's Gold" with your honey. BTW Ulee was from Gulf County Florida. Did they make a movie about you? LOL. On GW I see your screen name 'islandman' . Someone said you have a lot of 'corn' . I searched the threads and found you have 'bees' . Adds up to Ulee. I would brave a swarm of killer bees for some of your honey. Is it possible for me to get some of your gold? Are you under contract? We have the same buyer. Maybe we can work it out with him?

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

CREEPY!!

• seramas
    15 years ago

Creepy to some, but new beginnings to others. I'm anxious to see the next installment--sort of like the old Folgers commercials.

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

You said buyer. Are your fields certified and do you have a contract already?

• fastfarmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are certified. I have a contract for 2009.

• islandmanmitch
    15 years ago

My first year was a 4.3. Second year 4.7. Trying again this year. I need help. Please e-mail me IslandManMitch@aol.com.

• fastfarmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

runningtrails My parents learned you can't compete with big agribusiness. Big ag make their money with volume. We earn a living for a family of 6 (husband 4 sons and myself) on a growing farm. We have purchased 2 adjacent farms. The challenge is finding the niche market. We found our niche 12 years ago. We contract to grow specific crops to the requirements of the customer. Something big business will never do. Good luck finding your niche. I love your art.

msjay2u First time being called creepy. Not nice. I liked stalker better. That was funny. I don't care who you are that was funny. Fit right in with my hunting him down. LOL I really like your humor. You are a hoot.

seramas Your my hero.

I grew up on a farm + I ran track in college = fast farm girl. Not because I chase down island men trying to get some honey. LOL I do want some of his honeybees honey. It is out of this world.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I was not calling you creepy I was saying the situation was kinnda creepy. You know when people find you on the internet it can make you feel good when people know you but when someone you don't know...well I don't know what I am saying. Forget I said it. LOL. Hopefully you guys can make the connection work.

• fastfarmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's all good. I came here to meet people with a common interest. Make new friends. Learn from others. Maybe help others. So far so good. I hope more members tell about their farms. Be it 500 acres or 500 square feet.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Its not creepy, its a little bit of chance plus some good solid inductive and deductive reasoning. Now where is Dr. Watson?

Good luck

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler