Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandmanmitch

The old girl still has it?

islandmanmitch
15 years ago

I have a ten going on eleven year old Buff Orpington hen. By rights she should be at the end of or maybe beyond her life span. She was good in her day. She was the best mother to the point she lost an eye to a stray cat attempting to eat her babies. The cat at one point had her by the head but she continued to fight. The cat let her go and went after the chicks again. The hen, now with only one eye went back on the cat. By this time I was close enough to kick the cat away. She survived and raised those babies and many more over the years. She stopped laying completely three years ago but I could not cull her. She had earned her retirement. About two months ago I noticed she was acting old and lonely so I in put her in with four white leghorn pullets. It helped, she started ruling the roost. Now for the past ten days I have been getting three to four white eggs and one brown one without a miss. I heard that a hen had only so many eggs to lay and once it was over it was over? Is that true? Is this her Last Hoora or what?

Comments (10)

• brendasue
    15 years ago

It's my understanding that yes females have only so many eggs-people included. It's a pre-determined amount but not a set amount between species. Remember that ~80 year old woman 10 years ago had a baby? Not all follow the book.

What a grand ole gal you have there. She's just showin those young chicks how it's done. I hope you kept some of those chicks. We switched to the BO's after many years of RIR's, because we wanted the type of mothering & nurturing your girl has. We have some of the Easter Eggers, too, only for the green eggs though.

She's a good ole age & that shows the care she's received, good job.

I think you know the answer as far as the last hoora.
    Brendasue

• fancifowl
    15 years ago

I have had a few black Hamburg hens to a ripe old age, about 8 or 9. A mink killed them along with 20 others one night. I kept them a long time because they were my best inbred line of cock producers, their female chicks never panned out. They did make afew eggs but their chicks werent up to snuff, less vigor so I just ate the eggs. Roosters seem to go sterile sooner than the hens, in my experience at least.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Other factors change before all the eggs are released in most animals, I do not know about birds specifically but from a game theory perspective limiting the number of tiny egg cells to end egg production is a poor way to conserve resources and from a biochemistry and and genetics perspective its an easy fix evolutionarily. It was at one time assumed that humans were born with all of their eggs intact but this finding has been overturned, it would not be surprising if hens had a similar mechanism.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

your chick is like a real woman. Never let the younger ones show her up. LOL!!! She's a real diva!

• gardengalrn
    15 years ago

Wow, she has been a well cared for bird! Sounds like she is showing off a bit and probably has done her good to be around the younger birds. I currently have a BO who has been broody for weeks but I keep taking her eggs :( I plan to make her a space in the coop this weekend and let her do her thing. As much for my interest as hers, LOL. Lori

• sullicorbitt
    15 years ago

What a wonderful story! I love hearing about old girls like her, how wonderful that she can still lay an egg, amazing! Velvet had a few quite old girls. It's a real testament to the quality care you have and are giving her.

Thanks for sharing your story :)

Sheila

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I had no idea chickens could live that long! Wow!

• islandmanmitch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I take no credit for being a great provider for my chickens. I take care of them but nothing like some I have read about on here. This is my setup. My two chicken pens are 10' wide x 30' long each. The end 10' has a metal roof cover for the nest boxes, roost, automatic feed and water. No more than ten chickens per pen. The pens are made with 6" aluminum post and 6' high chain link fencing. 3 strands of electric fence wire around the outside. The front 20' has 3 different varieties of scuppernong vines growing across the tops at 2' intervals that provides shade in the summer. The leaves fall, giving good sunlight in the yard for the winter. Scuppernongs love growing next to a chicken pen and the chickens love the grapes that drop and any I consider excess.
    I feed my chickens homegrown field corn, summer garden culls/excess. During the winter they get turnip greens, spinach, kale, mustard, peas and loose leaf lettuce. On occasion I will cook the turnip roots till tender and feed them too. Very little commercial feed. They are free ranged most evenings. I use no preventive medications. I contribute the long life to the breed, free space and diet. It is not uncommon for Orpingtons to live 7 to 10 years but I have never had one laying regular this late in life. I really think being around the young hens triggered something in her. I know when I am around my nephews I forget how old I am until the next day. By the way, as of yesterday she is still laying. I may let her raise one last clutch if she goes broody. I will take fancifowls advice and use a younger hens eggs.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

He says he takes no credit for being a great provider then gives examples of great care. Well I guess modesty is a virtue.

• decolady01
    13 years ago

Just curious: is your old girl still around?