Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can We Talk Muscovy Duck One More Time?

Posted by eric_wa San Juan, z8 WA (ejellison@rockisland.com) on
Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 21:08

My 3 muscovy ducks, 2 female and one drake, are about 6 months old. At what age are they sexually mature? Is mating based on age, day length, temperature. What is your experience. When should I expect my first clutch. These 3 were hatched on Sept 7th 2009.

Photobucket

Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can We Talk Muscovy Duck One More Time?

I am not sure what your weather is like, but if you are approaching warm temps then you should see mating anytime.... I have 8 muscovy ducks and all were mating at around 6 months.....as have all my other ducks..... my ducks lay all year long here in Z7 but the fertility is less in cold weather... my muscovy females are excellent setters and great mothers, I have used them to hatch other breeds instead of incubating them since they are so good at what they do, lol... good luck, I find the muscovy breed to be interesting and challenging too, lol.... head strong and smart !!

o

heartzlink,

Thank you. Good to hear from a fellow Muscovy enthusiast. My Khaki Campbells lay year around here in zone 8, wasn't sure about Muscovies.

Weather, low 50's last several weeks.

Eric

o

heartzlink,

One of my Muscovy females is missing. Yesterday the male was making advances towards her. She acted like she isn't ready.

Question, do you think she is hiding?

I've had ducks killed by predators in the past, but with feathers everywhere. No signs. Just gone.

Eric

o

Found the little buger. She is swimming in our big pond. Now how to get her back to the orchard pond.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here