Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quail laying eggs with no shells

Posted by Eleyan Australia (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 22:03

My first Quail (fem) started laying good eggs 2 weeks after arriving. Approx a month after that she started laying 2 eggs every 2nd time. The first double egg lay occurred the day a second quail was housed with her. Every third time, she would lay a larger single egg.

2 weeks ago, she lay a normal egg, then one with no shell. Today she lay two eggs with no shells. The second quail, is not yet laying as far as I can see. But I have separated them for a day or two to check this. There has been no attempt to eat the no shell eggs. I use chick feed from a pet shop near work.

I have Zebra finches which are nesting right now as well, and I feed them special egg/calcium powder mixed with water as well as crushed eggshells which they love. Any ideas, re: diet for the Quails?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quail laying eggs with no shells

I would feed them a quail/wild bird feed with added calcium. For chickens, we would feed crushed clamshells. You might need to crush them a bit more for quail though, or feed them crushed tums.

Brendasue

o

You can buy bags of grit etc at the feed store,speial egg layer food

o

Smash up eggshells for them, they will only eat as much as they need. Make sure it is pretty small, but not powder. Or powder it and mix in some cooked oatmeal. That is a treat they should love.

Cheri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here