Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

chicken feeder ideas

msjay2u
15 years ago

My boss sent me this photo today. looks simple to make with pallets or scrap wood, hangers cut for the slots stuck into drilled holes. Going to try it. Any excuse to pull out my saw, nail gun and drill sounds good to me.

{{gwi:36704}}

feel free to post your homemade feeders here too.

Comments (25)

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

That's a beautiful feeder! I know just how you feel about those tools. I love building things with mine! Show us what you are building when youi do it, please!

I use a small drawer from an old refrigerator and a square Tupperware container for my two feeders. Not fancy, but works ok.

You can usually get lots of free wood in or near the dumpsters at construction sites, or just ask one of the guys nearby if there are any pieces you can have. Ditto for cement blocks.

• brendasue
    15 years ago

We try to stick with feeders that are non-pourous. They can be cleaned & disinfected very easily.

A nice design could be made from a 6-8 " diameter PVC pipe. Get an appropriate length. Cut 1 foot off the end. Cut both pieces in half lengthwise. Get 2 PVC caps, and place them on both ends of the long piece, Screw or glue them in place. The caps keep the feed inside the feeder. Screw the short pieces upside down on the bottom of both ends to make legs. Drill several holes in the bottom of the long feeder to let water drain out. Set it on the floor and fill with feed, not too much if outside. You will have a long piece left over to make another feeder if needed.

You can add a bar or a strip of pipe or wire or something on the top of the caps to allow just their heads into the feeder. We took ours off though as it only encouraged them to jump on it & dirty the feed. We offered pallets leaned against the wall for roosts, they like them & we just replace them when they get nasty.

This makes a great feeder for goats, minus the top bar, if you use the heavy guage PVC, doesn't work so well for horses or cows.

I never could get the knack of pictures on here, gave up on that long ago.
    Brendasue

• nelda1234
    15 years ago

MsJay-Do you have any instructions on how to build this feeder-or are you just going to wing it? I love this feeder! I also want to try it.

Thanks,
    Nelda

• seramas
    15 years ago

What worries me about using used pallets is what may have been spilled on them during their intended use. Some of these become contaminated with so very nasty chemicals. I imagine if painted with several coats of porch paint that would seal the wood up.

I, as Brendasue, prefer to use plastic/metal for the cleanable aspect.

In the past have built a wooden feeder that closed when not in use. When a chicken jumped onto the perch their weight would lift the lid so they could eat-thus keeping the sparrows from eating the feed. It is amazing how quickly they learn that it will open when they get on the perch. Almost comical.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Runningtrails... I thought about the dumpsters too but no construction sites near me at this time. Tiger direct is closer.

Brendasue we must think alike. This is the one I use now but I am thinking of using it for water. gonna close the hole up some.

{{gwi:34161}}

Nelda... I am winging it baby. LOL

seramas Thanks for the tip on sealing it up real good. An excuse to pull out the sprayer too. LOL

• nelda1234
    15 years ago

MsJay--LOL on winging it!! If you get yours done first--Please post it!!! What are you going to use for the spindles in the middle?

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have some wire hangers around here somewhere. Cut them on the straight part, drill a hole in the wood and put the spindles in it.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I was all hyped up this morning. I was ready to get to work but the guy who was going to pick up the pallets today did not come through. His girlfriend had him working on her honey do list. Bummer

I did manage to get one thing accomplished. I brought my new chickens home. They are supposed to be Ameraucana but probaly Easter Eggers. As long as I get colored eggs I am happy. They fly pretty high. I was shocked. So I got pullets not pallets.

{{gwi:36608}}

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I like that PVC pipe bird feeder idea! I might have some of that laying around here somewhere or in my "raw materials" stash out in the field...where did I put that...I know, I made soap molds out of it :-(

Do you think the chickens would eat out of it if I've already used it to make scented round soap bars? Maybe I'll find a new piece at a garage sale. I never, ever buy anything "new". Where's the fun in that? The whole sense of accomplishment is lost if you just buy stuff. Anyone can do that.

Ooooo! Colured eggs! I would love a few Easter Eggers. Maybe this spring...no, we already have way too many eggs as it is. Well, maybe just a few more... I would really like some Chanteclers too.

You have to show us anything you make yourself, you know. I love DIY!

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

if you have a habitat store you can get PVC from them. Just make sure you check the price in the store because habitat can over price sometimes.

That is not actually the PVC pipe people use for plumbing it is the thinner stuff used for septic systems. MUCH cheaper. They (Lowes) makes it difficult for you to find the pieces that fit together though. Have to go through that section real good and put the pieces together to make sure they fit. Also putting ads on craigslist works.

the top piece is about 4' and I think it is a little tall. Inconvenient when it comes time to filling it. Imagine standing in a small ladder filling it with a funnel (most of the bottom tube of the funnel has to be cut off to let the feed flow freely). If I had to do it all again I would only make the top part 3'. The bottom piece is about 12" which I thought was kind of long but after fitting the pieces together it was perfect. When I cut the hole in the bottom I made the slit all the way to the end because that was easier to do but it made it kind of flimsy so I had to glue the bottom elbow and the bottom cap. That's what I get for winging it. I have never had a problem with it besides the awkwardness of filling it. OH and then when I finished it I had to tie it to the pen. I used hemp string first and that eventually popped so I had to use wire. I saw it done by someone else who used a metal strip. They put it around the front of the tube and screwed it in the wood. As long as my wire is holding I am leaving it like that. You know what they say "don't fix what ain't broke"

I am making the new feeder to put outside when I have them out. I might also modify the design for use as a hay feeder. Not sure. Gotta get one under my belt first.

Oh and I do not know if your chickens would eat out of a scented feeder. They might think you are spoiling them again or they might go on hunger strike.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

correction on what I did to the bottom piece. I did make the slit all the way to the end but I had to cut a short piece to go over it and keep it together then I put the cap on the end of that.,

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I thought I would use the big PCV pipe (3 - 4") cut in half and put it along the entire wall in the house, raised about 8" off the ground and attached to the wall. I will drill a few tiny holes in it for drainage, although I don't think it will be getting wet. I will put a cap at either end. The chickens can eat all at the same time, side by side. I might not cut it in half but just cut the top section out so it has a higher rim in the front for less spillage. I'll have to think about it for awhile. I sit around thinking and planning a lot. I don't need TV!

The Habitat Restore is a good idea. I know they have some.

• nelda1234
    15 years ago

MsJay-I just saw this chicken feeder and thought you might be interested in seeing it. It is a little tall for me but it could be shortened for smaller bags of feed.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/chicken_feeder.php

Nelda

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

runningtrails just remember when you cut the slit in it that weakens the "tube"/ better to have a series of slits vs one long one. Just my 2cents

Yeah I plan a lot and dream of those plans a lot too.

Nelda I have seen that design and thought about it at one time but I am stuck on the one I pictured first right now.

Thanks

• posy_pet
    15 years ago

Msjay2u,your pretty chicks have no tufts or beards?I made a feeder from the chick feeder with the holes all around that takes a jar.I had seen one somewhere that was pvc pipe duct taped atop a plastic jar with the bottom cut out.I used a plastic jar with 303(fruit cans) taped together and used a plastic lid on top from a small coffee can I think.I fill it with a canning jar funnel that we had.I tied it to the nest box for a kind of emergency extra source of food.Only 1 or 2 can eat at a time cause of space issues.Posy Pet

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those are 4 week old pullets so nothing has developed yet.

• brendasue
    15 years ago

Msjay2u that PVC feeder is similar to our mineral & baking soda feeders, except we have a "y" where the minerals are exposed, all verticle pipe. They work well for us.
    Brendasue

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

do you have a photo?

• brendasue
    15 years ago

I can get one, I'll try for one tonight. Then maybe provide a link to it or something as I have a hard time posting to boards.
    Brenda

• brendasue
    15 years ago

Here's a link to some of our feeders:

http://pondviewfainters.tripod.com/id26.html

Brendasue

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ahhh haaa now I see. I like all of them. AND THEY ALL LOOK EASY!! One question though about the mineral feeder. Do the minerals get stuck in the bottom? Do they have a hard time getting to the minerals if it is not full? In other words what is the waste factor with it?

okay I have 2 questions actually. What do you use for the water for the goats?

I am really loving that hay feeder. I am glad you provided a picture. You do not even want to know how I imagined it. LOL

• brendasue
    15 years ago

We fill the bottom with something, one we filled with hot glue, but usually rocks because they're handy. That one is for many goats, you would probably need the 2" pipe. The biggest waste is when the humidity gets the minerals, so during July/August we fill it minimally, the little waste there is goes in the garden.

We have ponds & a stream for water. A couple times a year it'll freeze & we have to haul buckets just like everyone else.
    BrendaSue

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Is that your site Brendasue?
    I love that goat feeder! I will remember that when I get goats. I'm saving that pictures for reference.

I like the pvc feeder too. Looks easy, like misjay2u said.

• brendasue
    15 years ago

Yes it is. These feeders are the best we've had so far.
    Brendasue

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have plenty of rocks!! I found a piece of PVC in the barn. I might try to do a mineral feeder this weekend. I like your site too