Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodrose711

sick from eating goose eggs?

woodrose711
14 years ago

I don't understand what's so different between goose eggs and chicken eggs. Yes, I know goose eggs are much higher in cholesterol(the good stuff, HDL), and about equal to 3 hen eggs. I have never had a problem eating chicken eggs, but when I eat a goose egg, just one, I get kind of woozy, a head rush, and very flushed. I don't feel quite right for the rest of the day. I can eat 3, even 4 chicken eggs and not feel at all funny. Whatever could be the problem?

Comments (15)

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

woodrose,

Are they from your own geese? If they are, could it be psychological? I have no problem eat my duck eggs, but first time rabbit was a little uneasy.

Eric

• woodrose711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, my own geese, but I butchered my own chix and geese this fall and they're good eating! No problems there. I also eat my own chicken eggs. I'm wondering if the high level of HDL all at one time may cause a type of "system overload" that would take hours to resolve? Or maybe a type of unfamiliar protein chain? I haven't had duck eggs since childhood, so I don't know if the reaction would be the same.

• doninalaska
    14 years ago

I would guess it is an allergy of some kind. I have never heard of goose eggs making anyone ill unless they were bad. We use goose eggs mostly for baking, but we sometimes scramble them and have no bad effects. Maybe it is a mild allergy generalized from your childhood with duck eggs.

Don

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

I have one grandson that throws up if I give him cookies with duck eggs and he has NO idea what I put in them,the other kids and us never get sick so I think duck and goose
    eggs may be a bit rich for some tummies.

• seramas
    14 years ago

The components of all fowl are the same, if allergic to one you'll be allergic to all. The sulfa levels can be greater in waterfowl eggs. This could be the problem. Use the goose eggs for cooking and see if you get the same reaction. If you do; get tested for an allergy to sulfa by your doctor. If you are positive for this condition-don't eat eggs as each encounter can become more sever.

• woodrose711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ahh, Seramas, you hit the nail on the head! I am allergic to to sulfa! Sulfa drugs, sulfates/sulfites in foods, wines, etc.. Thanks to everyone and all the great help! I now have an answer to this mystery!I will refrain from eating the goose eggs, even though I'm disappointed. However, it's much more important to be alive and healthy!

• jillzee
    14 years ago

Seramas - thank you for that information! A friend of mine is allergic to duck eggs, but never has had a problem with chicken eggs.

I was toying with raising ducks for eggs, but I do have a bad sulfa allergy, so, while I'm toying with the idea still, I will have to keep that in mind!

Jill

• bulldinkie
    14 years ago

woodrose I am too,
    ill need some of those drugs as Im getting a kidney transplant soon as I find a kidney.

• woodrose711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why would sulfa be higher in waterfowl? My chix and geese eat and drink the same things.

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Nutrient content of duck vs chicken. Sulfa must be low not even metioned.

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: DUCK EGGS VERSUS CHICKEN EGGS NUTRIENT CONTENT

• seramas
    14 years ago

Sulfa won't be listed as a nutrient content of an egg. Sulfa is produced when the egg white is digested. Have you ever had an egg burp--remember how it smelled--like sulfa? Another example is when eggs rot--what do they smell like? It has something to do with the digestive process of the proteins in fish, eggs, poultry...

Found this:

"Sulfa and Sulfate are not the same thing.

Sulfa is short for sulfamethoxazole. Some people are allergic to sulfa antibiotics such as sulfamethoxazole, which is found in the combination antibiotics Bactrim and Septra. Sulfate, also spelled sulphate, is a chemical term that identifies specific salts containing sulfur. Sulfur is a mineral that's found naturally in animal protein (including meat, poultry, fish and eggs), dried beans and other vegetables. Sulfa antibiotics don't contain sulfates.

Sulfa allergies are common, hence medications containing sulfonamides are prescribed carefully.It is important to make a distinction between sulfa drugs and other sulfur-containing drugs and additives, such as sulfates and sulfites, which are chemically unrelated to the sulfonamide group, and do not cause the same hypersensitivity reactions seen in the sulfonamides."

• west_texas_peg
    14 years ago

seramas,

Thank you for the info...DH, DS and I are allergic to sulfa drugs (Bactrim). Have had one bladder infection in my 60+ years and the doctor prescribed Bactrim...next day I was covered in a rash. DH began to have breathing problems after taking the drug for some time.

Peggy

• Jonathan
    14 years ago

This is an interesting theory. I can't eat duck or goose eggs, because they go right through me, but have no problem with chicken eggs. This is very frustrating to me because I find the waterfowl eggs so delicious!

That said, our former nanny knew a little kid who is allergic to chicken eggs, and when she worked for us and we had laying ducks, she'd bring him the duck eggs because he apparently had no problem digesting those.

This make me wonder about the sulfa theory. (I've never had sulfa drugs, so I don't know.) Also, I suppose it's possible that he isn't really allergic to chicken eggs; I don't know his situation personally, just once removed.

• woodrose711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don't know, but I think that my reaction to goose eggs triggered one for chicken eggs. I get the same flush now from them, just not as intense. Frustrating. However, since I stopped eating the goose eggs, they are now sitting on 30+ eggs!!!

• watkins_christine_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I have a yearling goose who has started to lay eggs without shells. Is this a problem with diet, heredity, or immaturity?
    Thank you