Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
found reason for egg 'allergy'

Posted by woodrose711 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 0:14

I had been feeding my geese rabbit feed and supplementing it to my chickens just to add more "green stuff" to their diets throughout the winter. The layer mash contains a synthetic vitamin K: menadione sodium busulfite complex. the rabbit feed contains that and another: menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite. Now that my birds are free ranging again, they're not eating the rabbit feed anymore, and the eggs are no longer causing a reaction in me. I did some research and found that these substances are also in commercial pet foods and are causing allergic reactions in pets and there is effort to get them removed. I've taken the feed away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: found reason for egg 'allergy'

It's the bisulfite part ...

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/sulfite-sensitivity
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy731

Not exactly an allergy, but a sensitivity. A large array of dermatological, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, and cardiovascular symptoms can be shown.

o

I did enough research about it to find it's toxic. Google "dogfood project" and look for "menadione/vitamin K3". It's been found that pets/livestock don't really need this supplement, although vitamin K is produced in the gut by bacteria, and all the meds/antibiotics that are fed animals kills these bacteria. Also, meds interfere with vitamin K absorption. I suspect that it's added to make up for the detrimental effects of med/antibiotic overuse.

o

Excellent post, a great example of why you should stick with the right feed for the right animal. It's those little things that people never suspect or realize can cause problems.

Good sleuthing! :)

Velvet ~:>

o

yeah, it although wasn't very pleasant being a guinea pig! But, I wonder, wouldn't that same toxin get in the meat of the food rabbits, too? I'd think Id want to avoud eating rabbits too, for this reason.

o

Supplementing with organic rabbit pellets (ORP) you would have avoided this. During the winter I have always feed ORP but not more than 5% (1 part ORP to 19 parts layer 16% and 1 part Calf Manna). Layers will produce all winter long on this mix.

Another thing Ive do is grow sprouts using wild bird feed and oats mixed together. They go nuts over sprouts.

o

good Idea! I think they'll love the sprouts! thanks!

o

It is quite possible to raise rabbits without feeding pellets. I've been doing it for several years. Mine get alfalfa hay, small amounts of grain and as many greens as the season allows. Most of the green feed is in the form of safe weeds: dandelions, chicory, young dock leaves, clover, alfalfa, Queen Anne's lace, sow thistles, prickly lettuce, willow, apple or pear twigs and leaves and many others. If this idea interests you, please be aware that it does take time to transition the rabbits from a pelleted diet to a natural one. I did it gradually over about two months. More information about natural feeding is available on these specialized rabbit forums.

http://rabbittalk.com/
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Here is a link that might be useful: RabbitTalk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here