Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie312_gw

Rabbits

natalie312
15 years ago

I am getting a rabbit twomarrow. I want to know as much as posible befor i get him. This is my first time rasing a rabbit, but I've raise like rats and other small rodents. Please let me know what you know about them.

Thank You, ~~Natalie

P.S. By the way his name is Cheastnut!!! :)

Comments (7)

• adirondackgardener
    15 years ago

Unless you already know enough about the care and feeding of rabbits, I'd suggest not getting him tomorrow and learn all you need to before even thinking about getting him.

Telling us his name doesn't help anyone who may want to help you. You need to tell us what you know and what you don't know. Do you have housing? Do you have feed?

Wayne

• natalie312
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are planing on keeping him in his own cage inside the chicken coop. We have lots of hay, And the women who is bringing him to us is giving us some of his food so we know what to buy him. I know the basics i just need to know, like what can't they eat. What kind of bedding do they favor, and some other things!!!

• brendasue
    15 years ago

Like what other things, Natalie312?

We had a commercial rabbitry a long time go when I was a child. I'm a little foggy on details but we found the best set up was wire cages, hung from the ceiling. The bottom of the cage was maybe 3 or 4 feet off the ground. The inside was big enough for the rabbits to stand on their hind legs so stretch, and long & wide enough they could get excercize. They had wire bottoms, but they were reinforced with 1/2x1/2 wire after something started chewing on rabbits feet from below. The extra wire stopped that. The wire was cleaned with a wire bush, like a fireplace grill brush, when needed. The cages were inside the barn run, airy but not breezy, so no direct sun but plenty of windows. The run was always dry.

We free choice fed bagged pellets, don't recall the brand but probably from Agway. We used the common feeders found in the stores, metal with the wire bottoms/back. Water was given in 2-liter soda bottles, with a spicot, attached to the outside of the cage with a piece of wire, changed out every day while the unused were being cleaned and/or defrosted during winter. They had extra wood to chew on, loose in the cage, which they loved to chew & play with.

We had nesting boxes in every pen, mostly handmade but some purchased metal ones, too. This was important for the animals to hide as they are burrow animals. The boxes were lined with hay. The could get off the cage by going on top of their nest box, or inside of it. We had an extention to the top going widthwise for extra room as until they get used to the wire it is hard on their feet. We'd disassemble the nest box & extention & clean & disinfect when needed.

They received vegetable scraps from the table or garden & fresh grass when available as a treat. Too much will give them the runs if they're not used to it, expecially lettuce & like vegetables. I remember giving medications but can't recall if it was just for problems or a preventative.

We ear-tagged them for identification, and each cage had clipboards wired to the cage, with their health chart inside a ziplock baggie(baggie away from the cage). We clipped their nails monthly, I think.

This is how we did it 30 or so years ago, maybe it will give you some ideas. Also the person you are getting the rabbit from should be able to give you some ideas for keeping a single rabbit, and how she does things.

Good Luck.
    Brendasue

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

If the cage is going in with chickens you have to put a roof on it, chickens like to get up high and they will be dropping their droppings on top of the rabbit, which is not good for its health or comfort (Cleanliness is vital to good health), the relatively dry rabbit droppings are unlikely to cause problems if you are cleaning your chicken coop out often enough to have healthy chickens.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Rabbit manure is great if you have a garden. It is "cool" manure and doesn't need to age before use. I'm considering rabbits myself, trying to decide on the best place to put them. I had not considered hanging cages inside the chicken house. It's certainly big enough for them.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I just looked up some rabbit pages on the internet. Not a rabbit fan myself but thought you might find these articles interesting.

http://www.blackmesaranchonline.com/animals/rabbits.htm

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/1977-07-01/A-Better-Way-to-Raise-Rabbits.aspx?page=1

also there is a link below of a hencam. She has chickens and a rabbit living together. It is an interesting cam BUT I do not think it is running today. Usually there is a lot of activity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hen Cam

• yakimadn
    15 years ago

Had rabbits in with the chickens a few years ago. Pretty good deal. After the chickens got tired of eating smart pills, I built a small wall around the area under the cages, closed it with chicken wire, and let it fill, threw in some compost and some worms (worm farm close by)and let it work. Couple of times a month, I'd put a couple of chickens in and let them feast a little and mix things. Chickens and rabbits are gone now and tomatoes and cucumbers took up the space.

Dave