Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laying duck(s)

Posted by kimreko WA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 1:37

I'm new to having ducks. My husband brought home 4 ducklings last spring (2 are runners, 2 were mallards). Both pairs were mating pairs. The one male mallard went missing (perhaps a preditor). The male and female runners and the female malard remain. We have a large man-made pond in our backyard. About 3 weeks ago I found a lone egg in the middle of the yard. My husband and I moved the "duck house" as we call it next to the pond. Ever since then 1 egg a day has been laid. We had to go out of town for a week and a half and when we got back I found 15-20 eggs in the house. I see all 3 ducks during the day so I know they are not laying on them yet. It has become hard to keep track of the number of eggs because the straw is always getting moved around and over the eggs. Is it normal to have a female lay this many eggs? Could both females be laying in the same nest? I'm not sure what to do....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laying duck(s)

sounds like they are laying in the same nest, not uncommon. if they are still laying remove the oldest eggs, mark the freshest each day, leave 8-12 in the nest. They may both set but probably the runner will not set for long, they are non setters as a breed, exceptions exist.

o

I did a through check of the nest today. 28 eggs! It appears both girls are laying as I see half the eggs have a greenish tint and the others a pinkish tint. I will check again tomorrow to see if either are still laying. I wonder if I should try and hatch half myself?

o

Why not give it a try! They should be close to going to setting, at least the Mallard. Th greeish ones should be Mallard. What color are the Runners?

o

The runners are chocolate indian runners (but look black in color).

o

just trying to figure what the offspring would look like, they could be Khaki from the runner x Mallard cross. (M^D) for mallard X (d^d) for chocolate = khaki. They could still have facial stripes and white neck rings and they wont be a gopod khaki color but some phase of it anyhow.

o

I am wrong, maybe?? Its the dusky pattern mallard(MD) and Chocolate which make khaki, not the wild type(m+)which you probably have. I still think they will be a poor Khaki color .

o

Awwwww, baby ducklings! How cute! I want to see pics when they hatch, please!

o

Update...the female runner was taken by a coyote about 3 weeks ago. My husband has finally fenced the yard! Now down to the male Indian Runner and the female Rouen (who is setting on a clutch of 17 eggs in a new and safer spot) The eggs I brought in to incubate was doing great at 16 days until my pre-school moved the heat lamp. Sadly, I think they all died. It was 110F and I see no more movement or much progress (but can still see the blood veins)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here