Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heyitzbenny

Chicken Feed Question

heyitzbenny
14 years ago

I'm thinking of raising chicks for the first time and have been doing tons of research prior. I've come across lots of sources of information repeatedly stating that soybeans or all beans for that matter contain trypsin which is lethal to birds if not cooked at specific temperatures. However when I was looking at chicken feed and baby chick starter feed, I noticed all had soybean meal or dehulled soybean meal as a main ingredient. Is it safe to assume that the trypsin in those have been removed?

Also I own hamsters and noticed many of the feed ingredients are basically the same as chicken feed. As for other ingredients that don't come standard in chicken feed but are in hamster feed, I've done research and people have stated that chickens can safely eat those particular foods. However I also noticed soybean meal again as the main ingredients so I was concerned. Is it also safe to assume the trypsin is removed in this feed as well? The reason I ask is because I figure sometimes if I run out of chicken feed I may end up temporarily substituting with hamster feed.

I know this is a lot to read but I'm trying to learn all I can before I make the big commitment. Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide!

Comments (4)

• johanna_h
    14 years ago

I think that any commercial chicken food would be prepared in a way so as not to be lethal to the chickens. I've kept chickens for almost ten years and they've always had commercial feed.

If you're just starting, I say don't make your life difficult. Get a few chicks, feed them commercial feed, and get a new bag before the old one runs out so you don't have to feed the birds like mammals!

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

Johanna gave you great advice. I get chick starter from the feed store, and when the chicks are ready, change them over to layer feed, which is at about 17 weeks, as I remember. The bag of starter feed will have a chart on the back to tell you when to switch. If you are raising broilers there is a specific feed for that, also.
    Don't give your chicks anything but starter feed. They are not all at the same stage of development, and where one or two could handle a certain food, others can't. Keep your hamster food for your hamsters, and keep a supply of chicken feed handy. You'll be surprised how much food a few chickens can eat!

• dethride
    14 years ago

They have to toast the soybeans to destroy the trypsin.

I wanted to give my new little chicks some variety so I would take a shovel and scoop up a clump of grass and put it in the brooder. They loved it! They attacked it! After all, it is their instinct to "play" in the dirt.

This year, I want to raise mine on a custom feed with no soy or meds. Soy is an easy, cheap way to boost that protein number on the feedbag label. My research shows that given a more natural environment, chicks do well and build up their own natural defenses against disease.

What's my motivation? Soy is a piss-poor human food because it's highly processed and contains, for instance, high concentrations of phyto-estrogens that mimic human hormones and can disrupt normal body functions.

There are many, many other problematic substances in soy, i.e., phytic acid, enzyme-inhibitors, hemagglutinin, nitrites, not to mention 90% of soy crops are now genetically modified.

Don't take my word for it. Goggle it.

• woodrose711
    14 years ago

I've done lots and lots of research into growing my own chicken feed. Cowpeas, take your pick which, have lower levels of anti-trypsin inhibitors than other legumes, and do not need to be toasted. I'm growing black eyed peas. They are a complete protein. Very high in protein and lysine. I'm adding sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, giant goosefoot, home-grown corn, dried alfalfa, lamb's quarters,nettle and red clover. Quinoa would be another good addition, but I'm experimenting with this as it may not grow well in zone 4. It's really very helpful to check out food values here: www.nutritiondata.com You may have to click around a bit, but you will get some great data on what you're looking for. Good luck!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?