Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
molting

Posted by runningtrails 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 8:03

I'm finding little brown feathers all over the place in much larger numbers this week. Do they molt before they get broody in the spring? Do they stop laying altogether when they molt? Do they all molt at the same time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: molting

Chickens can molt anytime, but mine usually do the big molts anywhere from October to February, so I guess molting now isn't out of the question. :) They generally don't lay while molting or growing back new feathers, as this takes lots of energy.

Mine don't all molt at the same time, and not everyone molts for sure every year. But in Oct.-Nov. it seemed to be the years' fashion fad to molt tails in my flock...things looked kinda funny out there for a while! *L*

Velvet ~:>

o

Mine didn't molt in the fall but I'm in a completely different zone than you are, so the timing might be different? I'm just asking because I have never seen them lose this many feathers at once before. The chickens, themselves, don't look bare, just feathers everywhere. At first I thought a predator had grabbed one of them, there were so many feathers in a big pile outside.

Oh well, it's generally warmer now, but not warm enough to hatch young ones yet, so I guess it's as good a time as any to molt. The laying has not slowed down at all.

Velvet, I talked to the people with the D'Anver banties. They don't want me to share their email address with anyone, as they're a little afraid of the internet. They will save me some eggs, if there are any before they sell them in mid April. If I get some, I'll send them to you. I have decided not to raise them, at least not right now, anyway. Here's hoping!

o

Very cool, thank you! :) I'd really love some. I'm getting some Serama eggs from seramas, he very kindly offered. I'm going to reset the incubator next week and start more eggs then for my daughter's Science Fair project.

You are more than welcome to either give my email to the folks with the D'Anvers eggs, or point them to my website, it's listed there as well. Please tell them I'd truly appreciate the eggs, and to let me know how much they want for them if they decide to go ahead and send some. I understand completely how careful you need to be about giving out personal info on the 'net. :)

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here