Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forcing cats to hunt for their food

Posted by carmen_grower_2007 4/5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 11 at 8:28

We have 7 cats (all altered) that we have allowed to be a little spoiled. We let them inside a guest house when it is really cold at night and always feed them outside but am wondering if we need to feed them less.

If the food is only available for a few hours each day, will they get the hint and start hunting for their food? Once the snow melts, we plan to keep them outside full time. They are all close to adulthood now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forcing cats to hunt for their food

Some cats are better hunters than others. Being hungry has only a little bit to do with it. Hungry cats eat what they catch. Well fed cats drag it home to you but rarely eat it. Healthy cats can live a long time but rarely do they hunt their entire lives. I've had cats that killed wild rabbits the same size as they were and I've had cats that only hunted lizards and frogs. Keep in mind that coyotes like to eat cats and they seem to know that houses in the country have house cats around them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here