Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Chick diet

Posted by aprilfool 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 9:44

We have some baby chicks 3weeks old now. When can we take them off the baby chick feed and use regular chicken feed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Chick diet

They need to be 4 or 5 months old before
starting lay pellets with my broods.
Enjoy,
Donna

o

If you can find some game bird grower or conditioner that is good. I feed medicated starter until they are large enuff to eat the game bird pellets. Usually by the time they are feathered out nicwely. When they are about 6-8 months you can continue with the grower/conditioner or feed a game bird breeder pellet. I never feed layer feed to my poultry, its really not a complete feed. It is formulated to produce the most eggs for least expense.

o

Really? What do you feed your layers? What is missing from the layer feed (I use Purina or Layena crumbles)?

o

I feed everything game bird breeder rations during the breeding season, Jan-June, then either a game bird conditioner or a turkey grower pellet. There is nothing wrong with a good quality lay ration but they are not a total ration for breeding birds, they dont make the most healthy egg, and that is where your next generation begins.. they are designed to make the most eggs for the least cost and are probably just fine for most folks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here