Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sundae_gw

What's happening to our turkeys?

sundae
16 years ago

We got 6 turkeys about 3-4 weeks ago, got off to a great start and now their dying. Their heads start to bend sideways back to their bodies, then they can not support theirselves very well and then soon they die. There was 3 white and 3 brown, lost 2 whites and now a brown one is going way down and 2 others are starting. What could it be??

TIA

Sandy

Comments (8)

• beegood_gw
    16 years ago

Who did you buy them from? Get a hold of them as they may be able to help you and also try the Mcmurray hatchery web site. They have info on some turkey problems on chicks with neck probelms.Does you Vet have any ideas? Good Luck

• sundae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Seems as though it could be that blackhead disese. 2 are left and they are housed where chickens use to be. I will know now to give them different housing

Sandy

• mxbarbie
    16 years ago

Were they drinking? We always have to physically show them where the water is (dunk their heads in it) a couple of times (every single chick) or they just die of dehyration. They are not the smartest bird in the pen!

• velvet_sparrow
    16 years ago

How old are they? Any other symptoms such as sulferous poop or blackened heads? Check their feed, is it wet, moldy or musty smelling? If their housing clean and dry?

I'm going to toss out a few ideas here, you can sift through it and decide if any of it fits the bill.

MSU has a great poultry site with more info here:

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/disproto.htm

If it IS Blackhead, which is caused by a protazoa, you can treat it using a medicated liquid added to the water. I use Sulmet (available at most feed or pet stores) for my chickens when an outbreak of Coccidiosis appears and it works well.

I'd treat all of your birds with the Sulmet, not just the ones that appear ill, because Blackhead strikes and kills swiftly.

If your feed is wet or moldy, throw it all away and get fresh. Aspergillosis is an illness caused by spore-forming molds in feed or the housing area (has it been rainy or wet for a prolonged period at your house?). Aspergillosis can affect humans as well, so if your feed is bad, wear a mask and eye protection while clearing it out.

Another possibility is Crookneck/Limberneck, which can be caused by either a head injury, or a riboflavin deficiency in the feed. Since you have had several birds fall ill, you can rule out head injury I suspect. Check the label on your feed to see what it contains, and make sure your birds are getting the proper type of feed for them at their age.

I have a treatment for Crookneck/Limberneck that involves doseing the birds with Vitamin E and Selenium, it's worked wonders on chickens. Let me know if you want it.

Good luck!

Velvet ~:>

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Don't know what you are feeding, but I always steer clear of medicated feeds with my turkeys. I use high protein game bird food, nonmedicated. Have been raising turkeys for fair for years and never have a problem.

Billie

Ps I still raise my turkeys with chickens and ducks, they do better and are much friendlier. Sorry nay sayers.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

I'm going to correct my previous post....after doing a bit more research on Blackhead--I'm confused.

It seems Sulmet is the correct drug to treat Coccidiosis, but for Blackhead you want Flagyl. As far as I know, Flagyl is a prescription-only medication.

From what I've read today online, it's easy to confuse Blackhead with Coccidiosis, and a lab test may be needed to determine which it is.

Time for the vet!

Sorry for any confusion, I hadn't read up on Blackhead at all until yesterday, and my brain was still bleary from my trip out of town.

Velvet ~:>

• billc-2007
    15 years ago

From what you have described it sounds like PMV Paramyxovirus. It is a viral infection and is extremely contagious. PMV is unique to pigeons and parrots though. But they get twisted necks. If ever a pigoen turns its head backwards, or has a twisted neck it is usaully sick with PMV and people will lose half or more of there birds. I guess wild birds carry it? Ferell pigeons too. You might check into a feed store and ask them what causes the symtoms you have and see if they can help or a turkey farm and see if they might know what it is and how to treat it. Good luck Bill C

• lucky_p
    15 years ago

See your veterinarian; he/she may not be especially well-versed in poultry diseases, but they'll know more than the feed store goobers.
    And, if another one dies - or looks like it's going to - make arrangements to take/send it to the veterinary diagnostic laboratory at ISU, so you can find out for sure what the problem is, and how best to treat or prevent a repeat occurrence.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?