Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to increase my flock

Posted by seamommy 7bTX (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 31, 09 at 10:07

We had a storm a couple months ago and several of my hens and my only roo got out of their pen and disappeared. I want to get more hens and another roo, but I've seen how newcomers get pecked by the old hens. Is there any way to avoid all the pecking or should I just get the hens and put them in the pen and fend for themselves? Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to increase my flock

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your hens and roo:(
If I read your post right you are getting adult hens and roos? Make sure you are getting them from someone you know and trust-You still need to watch for signs of mites, worms etc...I would probably isolate them and treat thems for mites etc.... and then introduce them to your flock - Do not just let them fend for themselves - put them in your coop but in their own cage,pen - this way everybody gets to see everybody else but they can't peck at the new girls, everybody does a little meet and greet everyday. I would do this for about a week or two and then when I did let them out I would watch them and make sure no serious fights broke out, and maybe only leave them all together for just a couple hours at a time. This is just my opinion, just be patient with your girls. And again be careful who you get your new girls from, you can wipe out your whole flock.

We will want to see pictures of the new girls/boys:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here