Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ducklings - can you tell the sex?

Posted by carajon (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 10:12

We would like to get a 2-4 Khaki Campbells, primarily for eggs (and because they are darn cute!). A local feed store has some ducklings in, but they are straight run. I'm open to having a drake, but I want to make sure we get at least one female since we want eggs. Esp since we are vegetarians and will not be eating the ducks. Is there any way to guess from the appearance of the tiny little ducklings whether they are male or female? I'd really rather get the duckings locally than mailorder if there is any way to make sure I end up with a female or two.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ducklings - can you tell the sex?

pick them up, they will quack, the louder are the ducks and the muter are the drakes.

o

Thank you! We'll try your technique today when we pick out our ducklings.

o

ya,that's how I sex them too...The females will be louder and honk,and the males kind of softly quack..like a whisper! The fems are basically very vocal.

o

Well, we brought our two ducklings home and one is extremely loud and the other is quieter, so maybe we have one of each. There is such a contrast between the vocalizing of the two that the kids named them Max Volume and Peace - guess which is which? I'll report back when we can tell if we've got boys, girls, or one of each. In any case, they are the cutest, friendliest, cuddliest little things ever!

o

Does this go for geese too? I recently got three African Geese...I've noticed that one is very wiggly and LOUD and the other two are more laid back when you pick them up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here