Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feather mites on chicks

Posted by dabx2_95959 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 31, 09 at 10:58

Our chicks, ranging in age from 2 (or so) to 11 weeks old have feather mites. The vet suggested dusting, but we are also fighting (with antibiotics) some sort of respiratory disease and I'd rather not dust them. The feed store suggested a liquid treatment, but as I read the instructions the ratios are 8 ounces of this chemical to 25 Gallons of water. Yikes! That's .0025 chemical to one ounce of water! Does anyone have other treatment methods -- maybe some that are homeopathic?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feather mites on chicks

Homeopathic remedies are great for preventative measures, but you have an outbreak that you need to solve quickly and decisively. That means either dusting or spraying. Mites can so weaken birds that they can easily die, so act NOW.

I've got instructions on the various methods on my chicken info site, here, along with a discussion on using DE (Diatomaceous Earth) as a preventative for times when you DON'T have an outbreak as a way of keeping outbreaks at bay:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHealth.htm

Click and then scroll down to 'Worming and Dusting/Spraying'. I've found that I prefer the Adams spray to other methods, it's neater, more easily and precisely applied, and when you use the Adams with IGR, lasts for three months! Good luck with your birds!

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here