Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacy2564

bleeding chicken

stacy2564
17 years ago

Hi Everyone.

Hoping you can help me. One of my laying chickens is bleeding from her vent. She does not seem to have an egg stuck. But she looks extended, red and bleeding. I brought her in the house. Checked her real good. Put her in the sink and ran warm water over her rear. ( she liked that) But I can't figure out what is causing it. Can worms or some other ailment cause bleeding? Its not a ton but enough for concern. I have no roosters. And she doesn't look to be injured on the outside.

Thank you,

Stacy

Comments (20)

• Maggie_J
    17 years ago

Does the tissue of the vent protrude like a haemmorhoid? Could be a prolapse. Backyard chickens has a board for chicken emergencies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Chickens

• stacy2564
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks soooo much. Yes it does protrude. Thank you for the link. I will look at it now. Stacy

• Maggie_J
    17 years ago

How's your hen doing, Stacy? Did you find out anything useful?

I see that Siamese had a similar problem with her hen,(see new post) but unfortunately her hen died.

• Maggie_J
    17 years ago

Forgot to mention this.

You might want to separate your hens from the others. Once the tissue of the vent protrudes and is visible, the other hens will often peck at it until the blood loss is significant. I have heard of people using Preparation H to shrink the tissue, but I have also heard this is not a good idea. So who knows.

• stacy2564
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Maggie,
    I looked up some info. I am at work today but ran to the co-op on my lunch our and bought an antibiodic. I am going to separate her tonight when I get home (if its not too late.) and see what I can do for her. I did read about the perparation H. and, Luckily, she is good about being put in the sink and washed. I will start when I get home and see if I can get it under control. I had her in the house a couple of days ago when I first noticed something the matter. She's a good hen. I have a large dog crate that she can stay in. It will make it easier for me to care for her. I have heard some say that most hens die. then others have saved thiers pretty easy. keep your fingers crossed for us and thank you for check in with me. I hate having sick animals.

• stacy2564
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hen is hanging in there. She is in the house. Is taking antibiotics. We have been using Prep. H. She has been getting soaks in the sink. This morning she was eating and drinking really well. The bleeding has stopped. She is still extended but we will keep it up and see what happens. I feel better just having something to try. Thanks Maggie for your help.

Stacy

• Maggie_J
    17 years ago

You're welcome, Stacy. :) It sounds as though she is doing "as well as can be expected" at this point. I know that helpless feeling when you want to help but don't know what to do for the best. It's not fun.

Post an update when there is any change, okay?

• sullicorbitt
    17 years ago

Hi Stacy,
    How's your hen doing?

-Sheila

• stacy2564
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Sheila, Thanks for asking. She is still in the living room :) God bless my husband. She is still extended. I can pop it back in while I am bathing her and it stays in for a while. But then pops back out again. yuck. It's really weird. She is not bleeding anymore. I have changed her food and kept a cover over her cage so she isn't laying any eggs right now. But she eats good. and drinks fine. Her droppings are mostly all liqiud. very little firm dropping. But she seems to feel fine. She isn't crying out or anything. I don't know what to do except what I am already doing. I appreciate you ladies checking in with me. It means alot. Thank you, Stacy

• stacy2564
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good news. My hen is doing much better. Droppings are normal. prolapse seems to have shrunk back into her. I will keep her in for a few more days but everything is looking great!! Thanks everyone!

Stacy

• stacy2564
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My hen seems to be completely back to normal. I think she is going back to the coop tonight. I am so relieved. I wonder how likely this is to repeat itself. I am glad to be able to get her out of the house. She is feeling so much better she is not liking the cage anymore. plus we have puppies due in 5 days. One thing at a time is good with me :).

• sullicorbitt
    17 years ago

Great news Stacy! looks like your hen has responded to the excellent care you gave her, I'm so happy things are looking good. Sounds like there's quite a bit going on at your house :) good luck w/the pups!

-Sheila

• solar_sweetie_2007
    16 years ago

My chicken was the same way. You and me are in the same boat. Your hen may have the same problem my hen had. She died on me and I was so heartbroken. My chickens are like the children I'll never have. I love them all so much. I hope your hen gets well soon. Good luck.

• stacy2564
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Solar. My girl seems to be all better. For a few days after she started laying eggs again I was getting a little blood on the eggs. but that has stopped and I have not had any problem with that. Now I am on to a new problem. My poor chickens are loosing feathers. They are not molting. I am treating them for parasites but really don't know if that is the problem. Time will tell I guess.

• solar_sweetie_2007
    16 years ago

I don't know if you recall, but I mentioned before that chickens like the taste of salt. Blood has salt in it and that's why they look so naked:) They pluck each other for the salt in the blood. I hope these bits of info help you.

• solar_sweetie_2007
    16 years ago

If anyone has chicken-related questions and don't know who to ask, look me up, I'll be glad to help anyone out.

• solar_sweetie_2007
    16 years ago

Hey Stacy, how is your hen doing? I hope she's getting better.

• stacy2564
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shes all better solar. Thanks for asking. My chickens aren't bleeding at all. So I don't think they are picking because of the salt. I don't think they were picking at all. I think there was another problem. But it seems to be getting better. Feathers are growing back.

• seedsally
    14 years ago

Hi, I purchase a few hens from a local person about a week ago. A few days ago a friend gave me a rooster. Today I saw blood on the feathers below one of my hens vent. Could the rooster have caused it? Should I try the treatment above? Thanks

• organic_suky
    14 years ago

I just lost a hen from a prolapsed vent after 2 weeks of baths, preparation H and antibiotics. She developed breathing difficulties. She was an older girl. Now I have another hen who is bleeding. I found a trail of blood on the deck today. I check all of the vents of the hens and found no vent protrusions, although there has been blood on one egg each day so I know there is a problem among them.

Are there any other signs to look for if there is a vent issue? It is odd that I should have this trouble twice in one month after having had this flock for almost 2 years now.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler