Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vulture stealing duck eggs!

Posted by goldenpond Vero.Beach FL 9b% (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 12:24

We were wondering who the predator was. The chicken wire roof was drooping and eggs had been pulled out and eaten from the evening coop and duck house.The next day I shut the pen door to about 6 inches of an opening, so my broody girl could get up and visit the pond if she needs to. I caught the sight of giant wingspan shadow so I ran to investigate and sure enough it was a LONE vulture. He could not get his fat body in with the nearly closed door and when he spotted me and the dog he took off! Like we need more predators! I believe they are a protected species,anyone else know?
tanya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vulture stealing duck eggs!

We have ducks who return every year to lay their eggs in our high school courtyard and every year there are vultures who fly over and try to eat the eggs and steal the babies after they are born. We have placed a huge realistic looking owl near her nest (we heard that helps) but still need something else more substantial to protect them. What can we do???

o

Any plastic owl has to be hanged from tree limb so free to move with lightest wind movement if don't use owl this way it become just object to predator. If get one with swivel head you wasted your money hold body has to move. A hanging owl scare all birds you can't hang owl to protect Duck unless in pen.

o

• Posted by memo Zone 4B Nebraska (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 22:54

Life is an eco-system and all creatures need to eat whether we as humans like it or not. Vultures are a protected species. If they eat too much for your liking, you may need to buy more eggs, chicks etc. so there is enough to go around.

Sorry, just saying....

MeMo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here