Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Duck nest

Posted by stacyb1123 il (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 13:18

I have a duck not even sure which one laying eggs in a nest seems to be 2 at a time. We found the nest a couple of days ago with about 13 eggs in it and today it is up to 17. If she was going to sit on them would she have already? I don't know how long eggs have been there? We have a some freezing nights also wondering if the eggs are still even able to be sat on if they had been frozen. This is our first year of having ducks that lay eggs so we are not sure exactly what to do with the nest? We have been picking up the straggling eggs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Duck nest

Depends on the breed of duck whether or not she will possibly incubate the eggs, white pekin probably not, muscovy, very likely. In my experience eggs that have been frozen will crack and of course be no good. If the nest is not full of down that the mother has pulled from her breast to line the nest my guess is she has no intention of incubating them.

o
RE: Duck nest

I have more experience with geese, and they seem to wait until they have "enough" before they start sitting. The freezing temps are a concern, tho. Not sure how to check if they'd been frozen or not, unless they are cracked. Maybe throw the cracked ones out and keep the rest? The worst that will happen is that they will just get broken later if they rot and make a stinky mother duck! This can/will happen even if there have been no freezing temps, as some eggs simply won't be viable for whatever reasons, and will break anyway. Part of the whole process, and the mothers are pretty good at cleaning up the bad eggs, eating the broken ones, etc.. and taking a bath. Make sure she has a good little tub/kiddie pool with fresh water to wash up in!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here