Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A porch swing is an important part of farm life!

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 13:40

I had forgotten how important a porch swing was to farm life until I bought my Dads old house. When I was a child Mama and Daddy would sit in that swing and snap beans, shell beans, peas, and pecans, and do many other garden chores.

After I got married and left home, I never had a porch swing. I would do my chores at the picnic table, in a yard chair, or on the couch in front of the TV. It seemed like so much work, no pleasure.

I bought my parents house after they died and rediscovered the porch swing. There is something about that gentle swing that gives me a rhythm to make the chore a pleasure.

The swing gives you a little breeze when the air isn't stirring, lets your mind drift, and before you know it the beans, ETC, are snapped, shelled or whatever.

You don't have to worry about pecan shells, and everything else getting stuck in your carpet. I just take the push broom a sweep it up!

I cracked and shelled 20 pounds of pecans yesterday and it was a pleasure instead of a pain.

I wish that I had put up a porch swing when I was young!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A porch swing is an important part of farm life!

bump

o

Yes we bought an antique porch swing,we enjoy sitting out there on a beautiful evening just lookin at all our hard work..

o

We are having a porch put on our old house. The first thing I asked for when we started talking about building one was that there be room for a porch swing.
there's something about that gentle glide that can change the whole way things feel.

o

Please post picture of porch swing!

o

I had one made out oak 6 foot wide a lot room and sleeper are napper with big pillow. Very costly wind chm low tone.
Its out in weather 16 foot post and long chains makes good cruiser used about 2 hours aday good weather. Setting in there yesterday late watching hummingbird working in butter fly bush lol. The smell Carolina jasmine come by swing from half way across yard. Pick hand full sugar snap sweet peas for green snack. I enjoy my swing.

o

Wow, what a life. Sounds too perfect. Not much blooming here now except spring bulbs like tulips and daffodil. in Wisconsin. I would LOVE a picture! I can swing vicariously!

Enjoy your swing.

o

I NNNEEEEEED A PORCH SWING NOW!!!!

*sigh*

sounds lovely, why don't I have one?

o

Growing up my grandma had a huge porch with a swing. We spend many hours on the silly thing. My grandpa would yell at us to stop hitting the house. Such wonderful memories. I had hoped my children would get to swing in it but my grandma died a week after I got married. I saw on for the last time on my wedding day! She sure left me with some wonderful memories.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here