Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleddogger

Starting with goats

sleddogger
16 years ago

I'd like to get a couple of dairy goats, and after looking at the different breeds, decided I'd prefer a mini or Nigerian Dwarf. After looking around, I found a breeder a few hours away, just across the border. I was hoping I could get some advice on what to do. I was planning on getting a doeling and a wether to keep her company. But I don't know how I'd breed her. The vet said AI would be difficult and expensive, there aren't any mini studs here that I know of, and the breeder I'm getting her from doesn't usually provide stud service, although she said she'd consider it. I could (and would, if I had to) drive to southern ON to breed her, but it's about an eighteen hour drive to Toronto. I though about getting a buck, but from everything I've read it sounds like they'd need to be kept separate, so he would need a buddy to keep him company, too. I had hoped to start with just two, but I'd consider getting four, if I need to.

Does anyone have any advice, thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,

Allison

Comments (6)

• sleddogger
    Original Author

I can't say I've ever milked a cat, but I have milked a dog! I might have some info on regular size dairy goats, but I'm not sure yet. From what I've read about Nigerian Dwarves, a liter to liter and a half a day isn't unusual for them. It would only be for personal use. I've found a breeder across the border, and right now I'm looking into what it takes to get them across. I'm not sure if it'll be cheaper to get them from the States, or drive to southern ON and get them there.

Thanks everyone!

Allison

• sleddogger
    Original Author

I can't say I've ever milked a cat, but I have milked a dog! I might have some info on regular size dairy goats, but I'm not sure yet. From what I've read about Nigerian Dwarves, a liter to liter and a half a day isn't unusual for them. It would only be for personal use. I've found a breeder across the border, and right now I'm looking into what it takes to get them across. I'm not sure if it'll be cheaper to get them from the States, or drive to southern ON and get them there.

Thanks everyone!

Allison

• sleddogger
    Original Author

Thanks everyone!

Allison

• sleddogger
    Original Author

Thanks everyone!

Allison

• oberhasli1
    16 years ago

I assume you want a "dairy" breed for the milk. Mini's and Nigerians do not provide much milk and it is kind of similar to milking a cat :-). You might want to try and milk one of these breeds before you buy. They are cute, but depending on what you want the milk for, you might still consider one of the "other" dairy breeds, such as Nubians, or one of the Swiss Breeds. You might be able to find those breeds closer to your home and would be able to find a stud service closer as well. There was another thread on this forum about this same topic, it had some good advice. Look in the old postings maybe a month or so back. Good luck.

Bonnie

• backlanelady
    16 years ago

I would suggest a regular size dairy goat as well, if you want milk.
    Bonnie had a good idea about milking a mini before you purchase one.
    My personal favorite to milk and keep are Lamanchas. The breed that doesn't have ears flaps. They seem to have the nicest personalities.
    Unless your heart is really set on a mini breed, you might want to check your area for a regular size dairy goat. You might be able to pick up a couple of gals already in milk.