Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19722043

Dangers of worm farmiing

User
10 years ago

I read most of the previous messages about the great interest in worm farming, there was a lot there! But, that's all well and good, but be very careful of what worms you are using, and please don't let them escape! They can kill woodland areas/forests. This is something I got from my state DNR, Wisconsin, but since there are forests/wooded areas everywhere, please give this information some consideration. Earthworms are not native to North America.
dnr.wi.gov/topic/invasives/documents/whatsthetroublewithworms.pdf

Comments (5)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

The worms to use are red wrigglers.
    They remain in the organic layer, won't survive in the soil., proper. Not a threat.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The red wrigglers are bad as well, have you looked at the link(s) I sent? The DNR here, in WI, knows they are bad.....they don't have to survive in the soil, all they need is the top layers of leaves, etc., that would ordinarily naturally protect the roots/base of trees(forest mulch).....the deforestation in WI is proof enough. The forest trees need this natural mulch.

• renais1
    9 years ago

Note that the DNR material is not saying not to use worms for composting, or that the worms need to be eliminated from areas they already populate. They are showing the effects of changes in the forest as worms come in. Note that the forests are not destroyed, but they are changed as the undergrowth changes with the forest duff layer. The glaciers were quite recent (10-15k years), so we are still seeing (as the flyer notes) the effects of regrowth and development as worms repopulate the environment. I would not worry about the worms; in time the forests will look different, but still not bad.
    Renais

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, in looking at it that way, as I am opened minded, I don't do anything to fight climate change either, as the climate has always changed. I just happen to enjoy the wooded area I live in. However, the worms never native to North America are Red Wrigglers, the danger lies in their voracious appetite.

• renais1
    9 years ago

There is an excellent discussion of the Wisconsin flyer on the vermicomposting forum. There are certainly a variety of viewpoints on this material. For me, the bottom line is that there is not a problem, and not something that requires my actions. Worms were not in the area because it was covered with ice; the ice is gone, and worms are getting back in, either through the actions of humans or nature. These are very new forests, and are evolving in changing conditions. It is interesting to note that Wisconsin DNR does recommend worm composting in its literature, and does not have any warnings about any concerns. See link.
    Renais

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisconsin composting

This post was edited by Renais1 on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 16:46