Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmboygb

2 new chickens but the girls are nasty to them

farmboygb
15 years ago

I have 9 laying hens which have been together for a year & a half. My friend just got some new birds and gave 2 to me. They are about a year old. I brought them home & took them out to the coop but my other chickens will not stop picking on them so for now I put them in a cage. I really want to keep them but I don't want the other chickens to kill them or hurt them. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on how get the others to accept them?

Comments (7)

• nhsuzanne
    15 years ago

If you can keep them in their cage for a few days they should work it out for themselves. Being able to be around then without being able to touch them will help. In a couple of days all should be well.

• farmboygb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the response. I am going to go out now & check on them. My friend is bringing me a bigger pen to put them in so they will have more room for the 2 of them. Hopefully the others will except that they have new sisters.

• nhsuzanne
    15 years ago

If you can keep them in their cage for a few days they should work it out for themselves. Being able to be around then without being able to touch them will help. In a couple of days all should be well.

• posy_pet
    15 years ago

I read that if you had a separate pen to put them all in that worked.My daughter says put them in at night.I have not had very good luck doing any of it and was just thinking that would be a good question to ask.I moved all my chickens this last fall together and they had quite a rooster standoff.This was from 3 pens.Eventually they have sort of worked it all out.Posy_Pet

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Velvet sparrow has some great advice on her pages for introducing new chickens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Velvet's new chicken page

• kasswass
    13 years ago

We had two chickens who did everything together, When we were in the garden we let them out and if one lost the other they would call for each other. Unfortunately one has died and the other one seems lost. Would it be better for her to have a companion and if so how would we introduce them to each other and as she is a Warren breed would the other have to be the same? Or will she settle down and forget her old friend? Liz

• kasswass
    13 years ago

We had two chickens who did everything together, When we were in the garden we let them out and if one lost the other they would call for each other. Unfortunately one has died and the other one seems lost. Would it be better for her to have a companion and if so how would we introduce them to each other and as she is a Warren breed would the other have to be the same? Or will she settle down and forget her old friend? They were both 2years old and came from the same farm. Liz