Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 new chickens but the girls are nasty to them

Posted by farmboygb B0N 1L0 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 14, 09 at 14:44

I have 9 laying hens which have been together for a year & a half. My friend just got some new birds and gave 2 to me. They are about a year old. I brought them home & took them out to the coop but my other chickens will not stop picking on them so for now I put them in a cage. I really want to keep them but I don't want the other chickens to kill them or hurt them. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on how get the others to accept them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 new chickens but the girls are nasty to them

If you can keep them in their cage for a few days they should work it out for themselves. Being able to be around then without being able to touch them will help. In a couple of days all should be well.

o

thanks for the response. I am going to go out now & check on them. My friend is bringing me a bigger pen to put them in so they will have more room for the 2 of them. Hopefully the others will except that they have new sisters.

o

If you can keep them in their cage for a few days they should work it out for themselves. Being able to be around then without being able to touch them will help. In a couple of days all should be well.

o

I read that if you had a separate pen to put them all in that worked.My daughter says put them in at night.I have not had very good luck doing any of it and was just thinking that would be a good question to ask.I moved all my chickens this last fall together and they had quite a rooster standoff.This was from 3 pens.Eventually they have sort of worked it all out.Posy_Pet

o

Velvet sparrow has some great advice on her pages for introducing new chickens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Velvet's new chicken page

o

We had two chickens who did everything together, When we were in the garden we let them out and if one lost the other they would call for each other. Unfortunately one has died and the other one seems lost. Would it be better for her to have a companion and if so how would we introduce them to each other and as she is a Warren breed would the other have to be the same? Or will she settle down and forget her old friend? Liz

o
RE:1 lonely chicken

We had two chickens who did everything together, When we were in the garden we let them out and if one lost the other they would call for each other. Unfortunately one has died and the other one seems lost. Would it be better for her to have a companion and if so how would we introduce them to each other and as she is a Warren breed would the other have to be the same? Or will she settle down and forget her old friend? They were both 2years old and came from the same farm. Liz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here