Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toddntraci

My chickens have stopped laying.

toddntraci
15 years ago

I have 7 hens and 2 roosters...a variety of bantam types. (RIR, Frizzle, brahma, buff cochin, 2 black ones (don't know)& 2 white ones (don't know).They are all 10 months old and have been laying since the fall. As the nights started getting colder, I put a warming light in the coop over the roosting area. As it got even colder, I put another warming light on the water to keep it from freezing. But in the last couple of weeks, I turned off the water light. That didn't affect the chickens. But later, I turned off the other warming light, because we have had some really warm days! They stopped laying. I did some research on the internet and decided that I did a BAD thing, so the light has been back on for about a week. Still no eggs. When can I expect to start getting some, and when they do start laying again, can I change the bulb to a 60W? It is currently a 220W. Also, can I use one of those flourecent bulbs? (trying to save on money and electricity) Is it okay to leave it on all the time or should I have it on a timer...if timer, what time should it come on and shut off...I have only read lengths of time, but would like to know more specifically what times. There are 2 windows close to the coop area of the barn. (one West and one South)

Thank you for your help.

Comment (1)