Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My chickens have stopped laying.

Posted by toddntraci 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 9, 09 at 15:30

I have 7 hens and 2 roosters...a variety of bantam types. (RIR, Frizzle, brahma, buff cochin, 2 black ones (don't know)& 2 white ones (don't know).They are all 10 months old and have been laying since the fall. As the nights started getting colder, I put a warming light in the coop over the roosting area. As it got even colder, I put another warming light on the water to keep it from freezing. But in the last couple of weeks, I turned off the water light. That didn't affect the chickens. But later, I turned off the other warming light, because we have had some really warm days! They stopped laying. I did some research on the internet and decided that I did a BAD thing, so the light has been back on for about a week. Still no eggs. When can I expect to start getting some, and when they do start laying again, can I change the bulb to a 60W? It is currently a 220W. Also, can I use one of those flourecent bulbs? (trying to save on money and electricity) Is it okay to leave it on all the time or should I have it on a timer...if timer, what time should it come on and shut off...I have only read lengths of time, but would like to know more specifically what times. There are 2 windows close to the coop area of the barn. (one West and one South)

Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My chickens have stopped laying.

It sounds like you may have tricked your chickens into molting. They usually molt in the fall when the days get shorter but because you had the light on they didn't molt then. When you stopped using the light it probably triggered their bodies to molt. If you're noticing more feather loss then that would confirm it. If you increase their protein intake to about 18-19% it should help them grow new feathers and hopefully lay eggs at the same time.

I can't remember the ideal amount of time for the light to be on. I think it is either 14 or 16 hours of light a day for optimal laying. Maybe someone else can chime in here. But lets say it's 14... If the current length of the day from sunrise to sunset is 11 hours you need to have the light on for 3 hours. The best time to do this is the morning. So get a timer and set the light to go on 3 hours before sunrise and to go off a little after sunrise.

A fluorescent bulb works fine, that's what I use in my coop.

Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here