Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with broody hen & eggs , don't know what to do, pls help

Posted by maiseynz (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 15:48

Hi, I would really appreciate some help on this one. I have looked on the net but can't find advice. Last night I lifted up my broody hen to check eggs as they are due to hatch in a couple of days and found two dead chicks and the shells had obviously been broken - had happened within the past 24 hours or so as they were well-formed. The hen & eggs are in their own hutch and nothing could get in so the hen must have done it. Would she be trying to eat her own eggs or purposely pecking at them? Should I take them away from her to try and save the other eggs? Please help if you can.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with broody hen & eggs , don't know what to do, pls h

In a situation like this it is imperative that we know what zone you are in. If you are in Z4, the possiblility is that they couldn't have survived the cold. Other than that, I don't know. We had a broody hen in May of last year. After several hatched, several died and I think it was because she had to take care of the new babies and stopped sitting on the other eggs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here