Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overseeding pasture

Posted by niffer z5 Ontario (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 15:52

I wondered how and when you do this? Last year I took my little spreader and overseeded just before one of the last snowfalls of spring. I really don't know how effective it was as its an older alfalpha field, and I think the alfalpha grows faster than most of the grass seeds. That being said, I wondered what everyone else does. I have no tractor, but a very nice neighbour has one and will do anything for some of my flowers and a beer or two! lol Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overseeding pasture

It depends upon what you're doing and what you expect to accomplish. Down here if we're wanting to seed clover in pastures we usually do this sometime in Feb. That's with a broadcast seeder or mixing seed in a load of fertilizer and truck spreading. You have to keep the grass grazed just enough to allow the new plants to get sunlight and not so much that the animals kill out your new stand with foot traffic.

Others will seed with no till drills. These actually put the seed in contact with the ground in rows. Again, you have to manage the existing stand of grass to give the new seeds a chance to establish.

We usually overseed our pastures, no till, in the fall with small grains like rye or wheat so we can have some late fall and early spring grazing. If things look short during the summer we may sow some sudan grass into existing pastures and cut it for hay.

Quite often seeding new alfalfa seed into an existing alfalfa stand is not very successful. I can't remember for sure but I think the existing alfalfa crowns have something that inhibit the new plant's growth.

Janet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here