Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckeye_brian

2-New Alpine Bucklings right before snow storm!

buckeye_brian
16 years ago

Hey everyone! Check out the newest additions to the Ross goat barn. They were born just before the wife was hit with almost 12" of snow.

Why do they always wait until the coldest or nastiest day of the year to kid?

God Bless,

Brian

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 new alpine bucklings

Comments (3)

• backlanelady
    16 years ago

Congrats, Brian! And to your wife and nanny and bucklings!
    I think it might have something to do with the barometric pressure...as a storm approaches.
    I have a friend with a large dairy farm, and she has told me that when a storm front is moving in she can always count on babies coming.
    My pygmy doe had her babies yesterday. A doeling and buckling. We had 20" of snow falling on us, right after we started recovering from the ice storm that knocked everyones power out....grrr...it has been a hard winter.
    I figured wrong...thinking the babies were due the first week in April...I never was good at math.
    We checked the barn out and refilled waterers about 2 pm. Hubby went back out about midnight...through thigh deep snow and she had her two babies all nice and dry with the doeling nursing. The buckling was smaller and he was walking around, but not nursing.
    I spent a couple of hours out there watching, and the little boy was weaker than his sis. He was walking around, but wasn't attempting to nurse. His sister was nursing real well. I tried coaxing him, but no go. I checked inside of his mouth and it was cold....so he is in here and sis is bundled up in a goat coat, under the heat lamp with mom.
    I milked out some cholesterum for him and am bottle feeding it to him. Milking a pygmy is a pain...lol....wish I had elf hands.
    It is in the 20's here, but will warm up to the 40's later this week. I will try to put him back on mom then. If not I'll continue bottle feeding him. Fortunatly I have another goat (dairy) with some milk left. So I won't have to milk the pygmy for him for too long. I'm thinking 3 days.
    In the meantime I have another pygmy doe that is expecting. I hope she holds off until it warms up some.
    I'm going to make more goat coats this evening...lol.
    Take Care, Carrie

• buckeye_brian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carrie...now that you mention it, I have heard about the barametric pressure causing them to kid! Thanks for reminding me.

Sounds like you have your hands full and doing all that needs to be done.

Congrats on the kids!

God Bless,

Brian

• backlanelady
    16 years ago

Brian, Here is a poem for your wife....
    It's winter in Ohio
    And the gentle breezes blow
    Seventy miles an hour
    At twenty-five below.
    Oh how I love Ohio
    When the snow's up to your butt.
    You take a breath of winter
    And your nose gets frozen shut.
    Yes, the weather here is wonderful,
    So I guess I'll hang around.
    I could never leave Ohio ,
    'cause I'm frozen to the ground!!!

Both babies are doing well. The little guy inside the house is eating good. He bounces around the kitchen and confuses my dogs...lol. They don't know if he is a stuffed animal or what...but knows that he belongs to mom...so it's paws off. I only let him out around the dogs when I'm right there with him.
    Take Care, Carrie